Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Distasteful Ad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distasteful Ad

Today as I logged on to IMSN there was this banner ad promoting a place for people to go who want to have an affair. I won't even mention the place because they don't deserve the attention. I have not noticed this kind of advertising previously. It appears to come from Google and is supposedly somehow directed here by the contents of IMSN (though they are obviously misdirected!) I think that this ad is contrary to the supportive spouses we are trying to be here. I would like to see it removed, although I am not sure how to do this. Anyone else on board here?

You are right, however I beleive like most message boards like ourselves the google ads are chosen by a computer in the sky based on key word searches. Given our discussion last week, in a section of the board you'll get to, about whether or not we would want to know if our spouse had an affair I'm sure it picked up on that keyword.

Kris or one of the other admins can correct me but I don't think we have any control over the specific ads that pop-up which can create income for our site.
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Someone once asked me if I'd ever considered having an affair, since there are so many handsome doctors in my neighborhood (??? um, OK...I guess I must have missed this...they are usually tired, in rumpled scrubs, and post-call- greasy...but I'll accept arguendo your assumption).

Oh, yeah, that's a great idea. ANOTHER doctor.

Thanks, but one is all I can handle.

Comment

Suzy S is correct. As far as I know, there isn't anything we can do to change that. If I am wrong, hopefully Kris will see this and tell us otherwise. I think the best thing to do is to not click on it lest we give Google ads the impression that we think life is short and we are lookin' for love on the side.

Comment

Looking into this further. . .

On the Google homepage where you can click on "Advertising Programs" and learn about the Google Ad Sense product for web site owners, there is this statement: "Competitive Ad Filter enables you to filter out specific competitors or specific advertisers." So, it sounds like there is the option of blocking this company's advertising.

Comment

Honestly-

I thought it was kinda funny. and it's not unusual. any time Jenn P posts anything in the Super Easy Indian Chicken post, we get an ad for "finding your Indian spouse." Although I have to say, I wish my spouse made the Super Easy Indian Chicken.

We may be able to block some content, but we also use google as a source for our own referrals.

Jenn

Comment

I saw that, and I thought it couldn't mean what I first thought, so I didn't give it another look. I'm disgusted that it actually does mean that!

Comment

I have out of town visitors right now and haven't had a chance to check in and look at the ads. I filter regularly when I see something inappropriate. When I get time, I will do it again.

In addition, the filter itself also takes a bit of time to work.....I have had to repeatedly filter out google ads to get it to take.

But I don't have time right now..

It's not intentional and it will go away. I promise when my visitors leave that I will take care of it.

Kris

the suckiest suck sucker
                ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Kris-
                  You don't have time to read this, but thanks for the help. I was thinking that this was going to burden someone else's time if it was going to be resolved, and I felt bad about that. I would love to return the favor and help out in some way if possible.

Comment

Kris...

I realized that I probably brought it back with my last post. Shhhhh and it will go away.

Comment

blue_skies

It's not a problem.

Thanks for your patience.

I'm just now getting a chance to pop in and catch up on a few issues that are going on. I'll tackle them and I promise that the google ad thing is one of them. Nellie is right though....the less we mention it, the quicker it goes away!

Kris
                      ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                      ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I never pay attention to them. Anything that brings us income and the ability to remain here is good for me.
                        Luanne
                        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Originally posted by Luanne123
                          I never pay attention to them. Anything that brings us income and the ability to remain here is good for me.

I didn't even know there were ads until it was brought up.

Comment

Ugh, me either. Does this mean I am completely oblivious? I never noticed!

God, I hope I don't turn into the cliche surgeon's wife...dumbdumbdumb as a doorknob.

Eileen

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs. McPads
                              Ugh, me either. Does this mean I am completely oblivious? I never noticed!

God, I hope I don't turn into the cliche surgeon's wife...dumbdumbdumb as a doorknob.
                              Nope, just means you've successfully trained your brain to ignore things on web pages that look like ads. It's a good thing, believe me.
                              Sandy
                              Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Working...
                              X