Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Long Distance Update!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long Distance Update!!!

Hi all,

I don't know if this is appropriate for the general board but I'm SOOOO excited that I can't even wait right now.

My boyfriend is an M1 in Cleveland and moved from Boston (where I live) about 4 months ago. We're doing the long distance thing and although we're making it work, it has been hard. We haven't once wavered in our commitment but obviously we miss each other a lot.

We've talked about a lot of options including me moving but my job is amazing, I just got a promotion, and our families will not be supportive unless we're engaged.

Last week I was on a business trip with my boss and we were talking about a coworker (much more senior than I) who works off site. And my boss offered, totally unsolicited, "I will let you work offsite next year." I couldn't believe it, it was more than I'd hoped for. It means that I don't have to be scared I'm going to lose my job just to move.

**SO**, I talked to my BF and we've worked out what we're going to do. I will alternate weeks or go two weeks on two weeks off in Cleveland and stay with him while I'm there. That way I maintain my friends and my job and my apartment in Boston in case it gets too stressful. Sometime in 2008 we will buy a place in Cleveland together, get engaged, and move in together. That's always been the plan but I was so stressed that I'd have to wait until late 2008 and have to find another job. I'm SO excited!!!!!!!! This means starting in January I'll see him at least 2 weeks a month and I can keep my job even if I move to Cleveland full time. This is the best solution ever and it makes the next few months bearable.

YAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, sorry I know that was quite rambly but I think you're the only people who might understand how stressful long distance is when he's got tests, shadowing, anatomy, physical diagnosis, etc. etc. blah blah blah. and an inflated sense of self importance that he and all his classmates have to be deflated from when they hang out with someone not in med school.
    Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
    Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

:stars:

That's so awesome. I'm really glad things have worked out so well for you!!

Does this mean those of us who live in Cleveland might get to meet you?
    Sandy
    Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

:rah: That is fantastic! Congrats.

Comment

Absolutely poky! I definitely want to get together with people once I'm there not just on random weekends (when we often go to Columbus to visit BF's ailing grandparents). I'm so excited to actually get to know the city and feel like I'm a part of things!
        Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
        Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

That is fabulous - congratulations!
          Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Congratulations, and welcome to Cleveland. :happyrolling:

Comment

Congratulations and how exciting!

Comment

congrats! if you need any cleveland info, just let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by Genivieve
                  Definitely do this. Speaking of which, I finally visited Alesci's for the first time this last weekend, on Jenn's recommendation from a while back. I was in *heaven* (I'm 1/4 italian and have always loved the food). Thank you for turning me on to that store. The pizza dough was great (and so cheap, too!).
                  Sandy
                  Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

That's great! Only a few more months to go!
                    Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by poky
                      Definitely do this. Speaking of which, I finally visited Alesci's for the first time this last weekend, on Jenn's recommendation from a while back. I was in *heaven* (I'm 1/4 italian and have always loved the food). Thank you for turning me on to that store. The pizza dough was great (and so cheap, too!).
                      I miss Alesci's. Make a chicken / pesto calzone for me, will you???

Comment

I miss Alesci's. Make a chicken / pesto calzone for me, will you???
                        I will do that. Alesci's is going on my slowly growing list of "things I'll probably miss when I leave here" - helps to counterbalance the huge list of "things that drive me crazy about this place".
                        Sandy

Comment

YEAH THAT IS SO EXCITING!!!!

Comment

That's awesome! My SO and I were long distance for half of his pre-M1 year and it was doable but only because I got to see him almost every weekend or two. So good for you.

Comment

Working...
                            X