Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Calling all people familiar with San Diego

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling all people familiar with San Diego

Random question, but I am planning a litte family vacation in the San Diego area for next year (never been there, just heard from everyone that it's beautiful...etc..). DH went there for the ACP conference in the spring and can't stop talking about it. We plan on going to Sea World one day and the Zoo another, but we also want to do some non family-park days, but activities that will be appropriate to bring an alomost 2 1/2 year old. Suggestions? Also, what area of San Diego should we stay in?

Wife to a PGY-7 Interventional Cardiology Fellow, Mom to two. DS(7) and DD(3).

Re: Calling all people familiar with San Diego

I haven't been to San Diego in quite a while but a friend took her kids there recently and they loved the Lego place.

Comment

We did a big "done with training" trip there last summer. IT WAS awesome and our kids were not yet 4 and 2 .....

SeaWorld was a HUGE hit.
      Scrips aquarium was fun too.

LEGOLAND was MONEY baby!!! SOOOOO fun!! It's like Disney land for kids under 8. 85% of the rides were for YOUNG kids. VERY fun.
      I forget where we stayed but can ask DH tonight. PM me if you're interested and I'll make sure I ask him.

We stayed in Carlsbad....
      Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

I'll check w/ DH on hotels

Old Town is nice to stroll around in
        Balboa park is fabulous
        Coronado Island
        the Zoo & Wild Life Park
        Lego land
        Sea world
        The trolleys are fun to ride around on to get to & from places...and I'm pretty sure they are free.

Comment

to all the suggestions. I just wanted to give a plug for Cornado. If you go to Cornado you have to go see the Hotel Del Cornado. It is a BEAUTIFUL hotel (Some like it Hot was filmed there). It is a national landmark. The new towers are blah but the original hotel is beautiful. Their beach is also nice. For over 30 years my stepfamily spent 4th of July week at the Hotel Del. Their ice cream shop was featured on Rachel Ray's tast travels. I don't know if it's still true but I remember their tuna fish sandwiches being delicious. Good memories there.

Comment

I just moved away from San Diego after living there 10 years. :'( (Moved b/c of DH's residency, what else! )

Ditto to other suggestions, esp. Balboa Park -- I used to live nearby and never got tired of walking around there. For kids, there's a model train museum and a Science Center w/iMax theatre (maybe that's too old for your kids, not sure... but it's neat.)

As far as places to stay, there's an area called Hotel Circle with several hotels on it -- it's not ritzy, but it's centrally located -- very convenient. Other than that, there are a few major hotels in the Mission Bay area -- really nice b/c you're right near the water. I don't think I'd stay in the downtown/Gaslamp/Little Italy area -- the prices are high relative to how nice the hotels are, and the area is congested.

Old Town is kind of cute. Parking can be tricky, but there's a nice little park surrounded by old-fashioned shops and restaurants.

Have a great time!

Comment

Originally posted by madeintaiwan
              to all the suggestions. I just wanted to give a plug for Cornado. If you go to Cornado you have to go see the Hotel Del Cornado. It is a BEAUTIFUL hotel (Some like it Hot was filmed there). It is a national landmark. The new towers are blah but the original hotel is beautiful. Their beach is also nice. For over 30 years my stepfamily spent 4th of July week at the Hotel Del. Their ice cream shop was featured on Rachel Ray's tast travels. I don't know if it's still true but I remember their tuna fish sandwiches being delicious. Good memories there.
              just 2nd'ing Cornado. It's gorgeous.

Comment

Working...
              X