Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Is your spouse the absent-minded professor type?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is your spouse the absent-minded professor type?

I love him with all my heart, but boy, I could just pinch him sometimes...

I took him to work early this morning, then came back home and puttered around on the computer for awhile. A few minutes ago I went to the kitchen to make a cuppa, and while waiting for the water to boil I noticed his hospitial ID badge in his basket o' crap* near the door. :banghead: I grabbed my phone, and there was a msg from him -- he had called while I was putting gas in the car on the way home and I hadn't thought to check my phone.

Well, with only 4 hours to go in his shift (in theory anyway ), he just said I don't need to rush down there early. But this kind of thing happens frequently, and it's not as endearing as it was when we first met.

Not that I never misplace anything, but I at least attempt to put a system in place to prevent it.

We have slightly different -- no, make that completely opposite styles when it comes to organization. I'm a virgo -- kind of OCD and anal, hate to be late, like to keep things under control. He's the intuitive type -- he'll do what occurs to him at the moment, for as long as feels right -- even if it means being late for something. I like to say that I operate on Swiss time, while he operates on Spanish time. We've had many tense exchanges when I was trying to get him out the door to get somewhere and he decided that he absolutely had to look up the genus of polar bears or the population density of Mongolia RIGHT NOW.

And I've almost given up trying to help him leave for work on time, or get to bed at a decent hour. I try to be nice and supportive about it, but he interprets it as me being judgmental. "Fine then," I feel like saying, "Stay up til 1 am even though you need to get up at 4:30. See if I care." Maybe reverse-psychology would work... the prob is I DO care, because the frantic get-out-the-door dance is so annoying.

*For weeks, he had his wallet, pager, phone, ID, stethoscope, etc. in a jumbled pile on a shelf near the door. Things would fall on the floor or get covered up by papers, resulting in much wailing and gnashing of teeth. I recently put a basket there to keep everything corralled. It helps, somewhat.

One time when I dropped him off at work, I happened to notice when he got his medical bag out of the trunk that his badge had fallen out and slid toward the back seat. If I hadn't been there to see it, God knows if we ever would have found it again.

I know these behaviors are partly his personal style and partly in response to the stress of residency. He knows he should be better about leaving on time, but it's his way of acting out. I do it too, in my own ways. But I would really love it if I could sit down and discuss it with him calmly, and make an agreement to find ways to reduce the unneccesary suffering that all of this causes, because these little ways of acting out only add to our stress level!

Thank you for reading this longwinded rant.

Re: Is your spouse the absent-minded professor type?

I, too, am married to the "he's lives in his head; I can't believe he just did that; yoo-hoo! Calling EARTH!" sort.

Comment

No, DH is pretty with it most of the time. Absent minded is generally more my area I know it drives DH crazy.

Comment

I can't tell you the number of times I've brought the pager to the hospital. I bought him one of those catch-all things for the top of his dresser which sort of helps.

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn
          I can't tell you the number of times I've brought the pager to the hospital. I bought him one of those catch-all things for the top of his dresser which sort of helps.

Jenn
          Yes, we have one of those by the front door but he rarely uses it. I've learned to calmly go through the checklist before he leaves (if I'm up at that point) or just as calmly ask "what are you looking for?" and then point to it. I gave up on any other system long time ago.

Comment

I can't tell you how many times I have had to call DH at work because he has misplaced my keys (twice, both sets were somehow with him, so I had no car for 10 hours). It makes me nuts enough to have to help him keep track of my things, but really gets me when he loses mine. Every once in a while, I remind myself that he has a disorder (he has ADD), but it really doesn't make it easier. Somehow, he can keep track of 14 patients at a time, but he can't remember his pager???
            -Deb
            Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

I'm so glad we're not the only family experiencing this. I find things in the oddest places because he just sets stuff where ever he might be when something else catches his fancy. (Sheesh...can you say "ADD"?)

One day when I was still pregnant with DS I woke up to DH thrashing around our apartment looking for the TV remote. He kept grousing about where the kids might have put it, (DH had just come home from a shift in the lab at a local hospital at 1AM...the girls had been in bed for at least 5 hours already so I really doubted they'd touched the stupid thing), while tearing apart the living room furniture.

In my barely conscious state, I noticed that he'd already heated himself something to eat so he'd been home a little longer than I'd originally thought. He must have thought I was totally out of it, though, when I asked him if he'd been in the kitchen. The look of "what the hell does that have to do with anything?" was permanently plastered to his face when I rummaged around the kitchen and found the remote...in the freezer.

To this day he still swears he isn't the one who did that.

Comment

Originally posted by Deebs
                I can't tell you how many times I have had to call DH at work because he has misplaced my keys (twice, both sets were somehow with him, so I had no car for 10 hours). It makes me nuts enough to have to help him keep track of my things, but really gets me when he loses mine. Every once in a while, I remind myself that he has a disorder (he has ADD), but it really doesn't make it easier. Somehow, he can keep track of 14 patients at a time, but he can't remember his pager???

Heh. Yeah, we go through this one, too. DH loses his keys so he borrows mine...and then proceeds to lose those, too. Good thing I love that man, if not, I'd have killed him by now!

Pretty sure DH is ADD, too. There's a VERY strong family history and now DS is exhibiting similar behaviors.

Comment

Originally posted by spotty_dog
                  Originally posted by Bittersweet
                  No, DH is pretty with it most of the time. Absent minded is generally more my area I know it drives DH crazy.
                  Ditto.
                  Ditto. My husband is so organized that it drives *me* crazy.
                  married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Originally posted by alison
                    Originally posted by spotty_dog
                    Originally posted by Bittersweet
                    Ditto.
                    Ditto. My husband is so organized that it drives *me* crazy.

Oops... yep... me too. Dh is organized, on time and tidy and I am quite "intuitive" as you put it.

I really am sorry to all the organized tidy people! I really do feel bad... I really do..... it's just hard for me to be organized, tidy (I like piles) and go to bed on time consistently - even if I know it makes life easier that way.

There are ways that others have gotten through to me....

It really did help in graduate school when my best friend (extremely organized and on time) got plain old mad at me and told me just how it made her feel when I made her late (we car pooled). I did way better after that - because I cared about her.

And I really do try hard and do pretty okay around the house -because I know it stresses out dh to come home to a mess. He can't sit down if there are things to clean and put away - he'll just work work work from the second he walks through the door. I try really hard because this is the thing I know matters to him, and of course because I really care about him too.

Also, I almost completely stopped being late after I had kids because I figured it would take me so long to get them ready to go!

Good luck Virgomusic! Maybe pick the one area that is the hardest for you to deal with and tell him it really matters to you? It worked on me....

m

Comment

I think we all have our goofy little quirks and this is just one of his. If nothing else, it gives me a good laugh now and then. Also helps that I've learned to work around his idiosyncrasies so I really don't have much of a reason to become irritated.

I figure if that's the worst thing to ever occur during our marriage, we're doing all right...

Comment

My DH has just resorted to leaving most of his stuff in the car, that is the only way he has a hope of remembering everything. I would usually help him out but am feeling a little pregnancy brained myself lately.

I was laughing thismorning because for probably the first time ever he remembered to re-set the alarm clock for me, though of course it is Sunday and I dont need it!

Comment

We live in a cramped space, and so I gave him 2 drawers of our main piece of living room/organizational furniture, and this is what they look like:

When the papers (and whatever else- I've found T-shirts, underwear, belts, uniform patches, etc) start falling out of the drawer and gumming up the whole thing, he needs to sort it out.

He leaves his ID etc in the overflowing mail sorter at the door. I can't get him to put it anywhere else. I give up! I have better things to nag him about!

But the ID thing seriously freaks me out. This last weekend he left his ID in the computer he was using at the hospital. He told me he's the only one who uses the computer, so it should still be there... He's pretty good about pagers, but my word, we have a little elf somewhere in our house who takes DH's tools somewhere. He just buys new ones b/c he can never find them. Ever. And of course I've carved out a "tool station" and "Mac's crap" area in our basement, but I guess it's just so much easier to drag all the kids to Home Depot to buy new tools than to actually put them back.

It drives me nuts. I feel your pain!!!!
                          Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

DH has his space and I just leave it until he's get frustrated with it enough to clean it up. This weekend he got motivated and I've never seen his work bench so organized. He has a bag (I affectionately call it his man purse) that he takes to work with him everyday - just a regular satchel bag, its a monstrosity and I'm sure his back doesn't appreciate it but it holds everything for his research projects so I'm pretty sure he won't lose it anytime soon.

He has however lost his nice swiss army watch somewhere in the last few months and did lose his wedding ring during his 2nd year. I've only had to take him his pager or wallet a couple of times, so it sounds like I'm better off then some. They never grow up - do they?
                            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzy Sunshine
                              He has however lost his nice swiss army watch somewhere in the last few months and did lose his wedding ring during his 2nd year. I've only had to take him his pager or wallet a couple of times, so it sounds like I'm better off then some. They never grow up - do they?
                              Heh. DH has gone through countless watches, about 4 pocket knives, a couple stethoscopes, two wedding bands (one was lost while tinkering around under the hood of our old lemon of a car), 3 cell phones (don't ask), 4-5 key chains full of all our house/car/mail keys, various ID's for his rotations, and the list goes on.

I'm just glad we're not the only family having to put up with this.

Comment

Working...
                              X