Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Elixir advice???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elixir advice???

Does anyone have any good tips for how I can get my 3YO son to swallow ibuprofin elixir? He's taking his grape-flavored dissolvable acetominephin tablets no problem, but I can't find dissolvable ibuprofen tablets at the store. DH has told me to give him both forms of fever reducer because we can't hold his temp below 101 with just the one.

He's spitting it out. I've tried mixing it with juice, but he just messes around and eventually spills it. In desperation, I pinned him down and forced it down with a medicine syringe and held his nose closed (forcing him to swallow). Huge mess, of course, because he spits back about half, and I am concerned that he might accidentally aspirate some. DH is not helpful ("I don't know...the nurses handle that. I just prescribe.").

Anyone have any secret "good mommy" hints??? :anyolne: :anyolne: Thanks!

PS: I am near profanity or tears... Both look terrible on me.

Re: Elixir advice???

Offer a juice box chaser (or soda) as a bribe? That's all I've got.... Sorry he is sick!

Sally
    Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

im not above sitting on my kids and pouring it down their throat. seriously.

good luck, hope he feels better soon!
      ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

If you can find a good pharmacist, have them compound some w/ extra flavoring and sweetener in it. We had them do that for Nikolai's giardia medicine which supposedly tastes like ass- but he LOVED it after it was doctored up. (excuse the pun, because we all know how helpful doctors REALLY are when it comes to kids and medicines)

Jenn

Comment

oh, i forgot to mention. my friend has a really hard time getting her girls to take antibiotics. so, she melts chocolate, pours them in a candy moulds and then adds the dosage to each piece. she has great luck with that.
          ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

We don't chocolate to melt, but that gives me another idea...

We've got strawberry yogurt. I'll try mixing it in with that and seeing if I can fool him.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by rainbabies

with a Sprite chaser.
              Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquisher
                Originally posted by rainbabies

Comment

My kids LOVE ibu- the children's motrin berry flavor. They would drink the whole bottle if I let them.

:huh:
                  Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Did you try another store because I know they make them, they're orange flavor. We give them to our 2 year old. So much better, my kids never liked that mixed berry flavor. I always had to pay extra to have the dye free stuff.

Comment

If DS is old enough try the tylenol "meltaways" which are little squishy tablets that they can chew. I about pulled my hair out until I found these.

Kelly
                      In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

I only read your post, but they make Jr Ibuprofen quick dissolves...krogers/ Fryes supermarkets offer their version as well. They are orange flavored...if you do come across them give me call (I'll PM it to you) I have the doseage by weight chart my Ped gave us!

Comment

Y'all:

Thanks so much for everyone's replies! I am very happy to know that they make chewable ibu. I will be on the lookout for them.

DS's fever appears to have broken. Crossing my fingers, it will hold through the night!

Comment

Working...
                          X