Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Financially supporting SO in med school question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Financially supporting SO in med school question?

Yes, I'm sorry the question was so poorly worded.

I don't mean that they can "take" your salary. I mean how would his loan package change, etc. since they will expect me to contribute once we are married for FAFSA forms, etc.

His friend was just thinking that she would lose all her subsidized loans and any grants she has and instead they would expect her husband would make up the difference or they would take out more loans since now they have an income where before she had no reportable income as a student.
    Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
    Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by planet
      Actually, checking with the particular school is just as important as they have their own policies on how they process financial aid. Some schools will even demand parental income statements for 40 year old students. Some do include spouse income. It varies.
      Yup, FAFSA and CWRU both wanted DH's parents' info, despite the fact that he's 36, been married over 6 years, and has been independent of his parents since he graduated from college 13.5 years ago. :huh:

I can't imagine there's any school that *won't* count a spouse's income as part of the student's "expected contribution", but I could be wrong, I guess. It definitely wouldn't hurt to talk to the financial aid office.

If it was a difference between all subsidized loans and no subsidized loans, that difference alone could probably pay for a pretty nice wedding...
      Sandy
      Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Originally posted by ekreter
        His friend was just thinking that she would lose all her subsidized loans and any grants she has and instead they would expect her husband would make up the difference or they would take out more loans since now they have an income where before she had no reportable income as a student.
        Grants? What are these grants you speak of?

(Obviously, we get no such thing ... is this common?)

Comment

Working...
        X