Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Chiago Marathon Update!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chiago Marathon Update!!

Marathon Entry Fee…..$110

4 Gu Packets and 3 Gatorades…..$8

Running 21 miles and having them cancel your marathon….priceless

We were on pace for about 4:45 which was well above our goal (between 4 and 4:15) but still finishing when they ordered everyone to walk because they’d run out of water, ambulances, and EMTs in the 88 degree heat and 80% humidity. They told us that they were dismantling the finish and bringing in buses to get us so everyone complied. At mile 24, it became clear that there would be no buses so we jogged to the finish (which they did not dismantle) registering an eventual time of 5:45. It certainly wasn’t the race anyone wanted to have on Sunday but we’re alive and I guess we still traveled 26.2 miles.

The race wasn't very well directed. The heat was definitely not their fault but running out of water and gatorade is appalling. The LaSalle Bank people make MILLIONS off this marathon, they could have bought more water. The race director is trying to deny that they ran out of water but the poor volunteers at the aid stations were running into gas stations and buying gatorade and water with their own money. Several grocery stores along the route just started donating water to the triage stations. Every aid station was filled with people and they ran out of IV fluids.

That said, the people of Chicago were AMAZING. Spectators poured out of homes and gave people water whenever they could. They turned on their hoses and cheered us on. People were SO nice and stayed out to cheer even after the race was canceled. I can't thank them enough for all their support.

So that's the update. I'm alive and a little mentally dejected but hopefully I'll be able to get back on the horse soon. I think we're going to sign up for another one to try and put this behind us ASAP.

Thanks for all the well wishes! Please pray for the man's family who passed away (He's a Michigan police officer).

Elisabeth
    Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
    Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Re: Chiago Marathon Update!!

Sorry about the outcome, but I am happy to hear you are well! We were all thinking of you!

Comment

Elisabeth,

I'm so proud of you! What awful conditions and you did 21...that's a heck of a marathon in my book!

Kelly
      In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Well done! And quite a story! I'm glad you made it through unscathed.

Congratulations on your accomplishment!

Comment

Way to go for finishing! You rock!

Did you still get all of your finishers gear?
          Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

I was wondering about you this morning when I read the article in the paper, I'm glad you at least go to finish if not the way you wanted. I've never run one but I've cheered on a friend in a triathalon, it does seem like someone really screwed up the planning. Its not like the weather snuck up on them, you've been talking for a week about it being in the 80's - they should have been better prepared.
            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Hey 21 miles is nothing to downplay!

Sorry that they blew it.

Jenn

Comment

WOW, 21 miles constant running is amazing, my hips are cringing just thinking about it I'm sorry it went amuck at the end but you still finished it, which is awesome!

Comment

I’m sorry the race turned out to be such a clusterf*ck. Regardless, running 21 miles is quite the accomplishment, especially in hot, humid weather. Go you! :rah:

Comment

Working...
                  X