Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

yay for Mayo residents/fellows!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yay for Mayo residents/fellows!

DH got a letter from Mayo stating that he'll be receiving a refund for the FICA that he paid when he was a fellow at Mayo. Yipee! Mayo argued to the state that the residents/fellows are not employees but rather students and shouldn't have to pay FICA. (Something like that. I can't remember the specifics.) So, all the residents/fellows who were at Mayo (I can't remember that range of years) should be getting their FICA refunded. I'm so excited!

Re: yay for Mayo residents/fellows!

Mayo argued that medical residents are basically students and their "salary" should be considered a stipend. Stipends don't pay FICA. We too got a letter yesterday saying we're getting everything we paid into FICA for a year and a quarter (I think its '05 and 1st quarter '06) back PLUS interest. It will be a nice Christmas present to the savings account. And they're still appealing the other years and going forward!

There will be a 2nd quarter payment at a later date too!

Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Congrats you all!

Can I dream?

DH did not have FICA taken out during his fellowship because part of it was an NIH stipend (he did pay FICA on the other portion of it). That was nice.

Comment

If anyone is interested in the legal-eese you can find it here:

http://www.kiplinger.com/members/tax.../Mayo-case.pdf

Basically in the mid-90's the courts sided with Mayo and then in '03 the IRS changed the rules so that residents wouldn't qualify again so Mayo sued saying they were changing the rules illegally. So I'm not sure why we're now paying FICA if that is part of this ruling or if that will come back to us eventually too. The nice part is that we only have to pay taxes on the interest which is a very small part of the check.

Comment

The FICA is also supposed to be returned (or at least, it has been in past years). I haven't gotten our letter - I need to make sure they have our current address on file!
          -Deb
          Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Deb - yes, we're getting the FICA back ('04 through 1st quarter '05) plus interest. DH is home so I had him read me the right dates.

The letter did say to make sure Mayo had the correct mailing address b/c it will be coming as a check, not as part of the paycheck. Also, the residents/fellows had to opt IN to this case before it was decided.

Comment

Thanks Cheri. I know we opted in. I did all the work for that and then had DH sign his name. I don't fool around with things when it comes to money. It was up to him to give everyone forwarding addresses - I'm assuming that didn't get done with the GME office, other than to confirm for his license (which was on this end). It looks like I'll be making some phonecalls tomorrow!
              -Deb
              Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Deb, I can check the letter when I get home and see which department it came from - that will probably save you some time. I think it had a phone number on there for address changes.

Comment

Is this something that we could all start appealing for our residency/fellowship days????/

kris
                  ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                  ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

OK...but since when do residents get grades?

kris
                    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I vaguely remember getting a letter from Vanderbilt months ago about something similar, but we never received anything else. Maybe I need to get on the phone tomorrow.

Comment

I would suspect if other schools sued like Mayo did then yes, it could affect other programs but I don't see in the decision of the Mayo case that it is automatically applied to anyone else.

Comment

I think in our case, the school was preparing to sue and notifying everyone who might be involved. It's great that Mayo got it done.

Comment

I'll totally cut and run here...buuut, this ruling is the very argument used to prevent residents from organizing and demanding a living wage. I doubt it will come to pass, but if the option of education loan deferral is removed during residency, I see that path (breaking the regulatory hold on residency programs by defining residents as students) as the only way for some to be able to still become MDs. Won't have an impact on us and glad you got your money...just thought I'd mention.

Comment

Janet, don't cut and run, I'm curious. The argument that they are students keeps them from organizing? I guess I've never looked at it that way.

Comment

Working...
                              X