Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

When are medical journals considered outdated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When are medical journals considered outdated?

I'm trying to organize dh's study, otherwise it won't get done. He has a ton of medical publications, some of this crap is 12 years old! What's considered current in the medical world? (Urology)

Help me plead my case, some of this stuff has GOT to go.

Re: When are medical journals considered outdated?

Good luck! My DH doesn't have anything that old but once he's decided he's keeping it - he's not throwing it out! :huh:
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I boxed up dh's and put them in the basement. If he doesn't notice I figure it is fair game to get rid of. Also, aren't the journals and archives mostly available online now too. Periodically there is a drive by the med school to collect old journals and send them out to other countries.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

I have no idea...I just put them in big stack in DH's closet. I figure if he can't get to his underwear drawer, that is his problem. He always says he plans on reading them eventually, so we can't get rid of any of them. :huh: It feels like new ones come in the mail every day!

Comment

Trust me, every time a new one comes in, depending on the topic, the others are obsolete.
            Luanne
            wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Originally posted by Luanne123
              Trust me, every time a new one comes in, depending on the topic, the others are obsolete.
              Not to mention that the info is now also available online via subscription to the journal's website. When we moved, I recycled (probably literally) TONS of journals. Even though our move was paid for, I was not going to move those things.

Comment

Unless the journal has something specific to a patient or an article of some use, they get recycled. I did find a site a while back that takes old science books and journals and sends them to other countries. Sometimes the Peace Corps will take them, too.

Nikolai's school has a paper recycling site (of course it does...) and that's where we've been taking the journals as he's going through the ones that arrived when he was gone. The AAN publishes WEEKLY it seems.

Jenn

Comment

Uptodate.com is updated every 6 months based on Journals/Texts and evidence based.
                  Luanne
                  wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Working...
                  X