Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

"Help" Desk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Help" Desk

So, about a month ago, we were having trouble with our computer at home (it was making weird beeping noises, etc.), so I called the Dell Helpdesk. They were very nice and helped me sort out the problem. They told me that the memory was failing, and we needed to purchase more memory. Fine. So I buy $150 of memory, and was told that I would receive a call from the support desk in a couple of days to be instructed on how to install it (the memory is a chip thing that you have to physically install into the computer). Well, they never called and I forgot about it until...my computer started acting weird again so I knew I had to install the memory chip.

So, I call the "help" desk and explain what the issue is and they look up my computer ID, etc. The guy tells me that my warantee expired and therefore, he cannot provide any guidance as to how to install the memory. Great... But here's the funny part, the guy says in a sneaky-hushed kind of voice, "I'll give you a hint, though, you need to open the computer, find where the memory goes, and put it in." That's your big hint??? :huh: I swear, that's exactly what he said. Haha!

The good news is I did eventually figure it out, but no thanks to his "hint." Just had to share.
    Wife to a PGY-7 Interventional Cardiology Fellow, Mom to two. DS(7) and DD(3).

Re: "Help" Desk

Married to a peds surgeon attending

Comment

Sort of like when they ask you to check that the power is on...

Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Originally posted by peggyfromwastate
        Sort of like when they ask you to check that the power is on...

Not a dumb question AT ALL. I used to work at a Help Desk (for OfficeMax store employees to call when they were having trouble with store systems). You would not BELIEVE how many times I asked if the power was on and was told no. The way the OP guy acted with his "hint" was just a$$hole-ish, but working at a Help Desk sucks.

I slammed down the phone one day and my friend / coworker said "There is no Jenn, only Zoul" (Ghostbusters reference).

Comment

Jenn (Jane)- I'm not saying it's a dumb question.... But... I think that people if they are going to go to the trouble of calling the help desk should probably do the good ol' reboot! At which point they might notice the power wasn't on!

I can not imagine a more frustrating job than working a help desk. Yikes!
          Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Working...
          X