Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

My Son: Rules Enforcer for Hospital Site Safety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Son: Rules Enforcer for Hospital Site Safety

Ok, so yesterday DS and I walked up to the hospital. DH is overnight on-call, which means he is gone from 5:30 AM Saturday through about 1:00 PM Sunday. A long haul, and Satuday nights are the WORST (man, I talked to him this morning about 2:30 AM...he wanted to kill someone). But any-hoo...we went to take him some cookies/show support and just say hi.

The hospital complex is made up primarily of two hospitals: the principal hospital and the children's hospital. We always turn up the street that separates the two. The children's hospital side of the street is lined with giant animal-shaped topiaries, brightly painted sculptures, etc. Very clean and lovely. The other side of the street minimal, pretty much unlandscaped, and includes the covered shelter where folks go to smoke.

On the children's hospital side of the street, there are signs reading "NO SMOKING IN THIS AREA." There are a billion of all over the campus in general, and DS recognizes them (he can't read them--I've told him).

So...you guessed it. As we cross the street, my three-year-old breaks from my grip, runs over to the smoking shelter, throws his hands into the air in despair, and reprimands everyone: "THERE IS NO SMOKING IN THIS AREA!!!!"

OM Gosh. I grab him and apologize to the twenty or so people who were just trying to catch a drag. I was so embarrassed. These poor people, for the most part, are family members of patients, under enormous stress. Personally, if I were in their positions, I'd probably have to thread an IV line of Coca-Cola into me, to feed my bad habit.

THEN...a half-a-block later, we came to the side entrance of the hospital. There is a different type of placard next to the door--one with a slash-through symbol superimposed on the image of a handgun and the words underneath, "NO WEAPONS ON THE PREMISES." DS asks what the sign reads. I read it to him and add that it means that you may not carry guns into the hospital. He pauses, takes it in, and says with complete confidence:

"Yeah, Mom. Because the doctors would fight over patients."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! And I can't say he's 100% wrong!!!

Re: My Son: Rules Enforcer for Hospital Site Safety

I don't feel terribly bad for those people trying to get a drag off a cigarette. I've had to walk through so much smoke as a pregnant woman that I have little tolerance for people who care little about the health of those who are entering the hospital in order to help their own health.

I also have little tolerance for people who continue to smoke in the presence of a child - let alone a small child.

My mom is visiting right now and the damage to her lungs caused by living with a smoker while growing up is incredible. Again, I have no tolerance for persons who care so little about others.
    Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
    With fingernails that shine like justice
    And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Re: My Son: Rules Enforcer for Hospital Site Safety

Our state/county just instituted a new smoking ordinance on October 1st which pretty much makes us a smoke free county and state. Our county added a line to that which states no smoking within 15' of a business entrance which pretty much applies to everything, the mall, the hospital (their campus has always been smoke free), hotels, etc.

I've lived in smoke free counties and states (Boulder,CO & CA) but here you'd think they killed someone the uproar from the smokers has been in sane and trying to enforce the 15' is a major pain. I took a call from the county health department last week b/c they're trying to make the mall look like the big bad guy. We have combination trash cans/ashtrays at our entrances. They want us to replace them. Do you have any idea how much those cost and how many we have? Basically they're looking for a scapegoat and b/c they got one complaint they're making us it. Maybe if kids or adults made more comments to the idiots still smoking outside of our entrances people would stop but our security team doesn't have time to be stationed at each one at all times.

I don't understand how smokers say we're taking away their rights when those of us that don't smoke have rights too.
      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Working...
      X