Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

CA fires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CA fires

I'm not sure how many members we have in the So Cal area (Kozmo) but just wanted to make sure you guys were safe. Many of our family members and friends have had to evacuate, especially in the San Diego area. Our family had to evacuate along with their horses in Escondido. They sectioned off a portion of the high school gym for all the horses. Hope you guys are safe and they get things under control soon.

Re: CA fires

I hope everyone is safe. Several of our family members have had to evacuate.

Comment

DW is headed for a conference in SD tomorrow morning. It's still on, but we're all a bit nervous.
      Enabler of DW and 5 kids
      Let's go Mets!

Comment

DH is calling his brother now just to check on him, he leaves in LaJolla which I haven't heard mentioned anywhere but he's going to check on him anyway.
        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

It's been a surreal and weird day. So many people I have spoken with said that it feels like doom's day. The air quality has been very poor and its hard to breathe. I work on the 14th floor and when I look out my window, the visibility is poor and yellow all around. We live literally right smack in the middle between malibu and orange county, so we're getting smoke from all around. The winds are picking up and will be at its worse for the next 24 hours.

DH had the night shift today so he went surfing during the day and said that the ocean was covered with a layer of soot.

Comment

Originally posted by jem
            It's been a surreal and weird day. So many people I have spoken with said that it feels like doom's day. The air quality has been very poor and its hard to breathe. I work on the 14th floor and when I look out my window, the visibility is poor and yellow all around. We live literally right smack in the middle between malibu and orange county, so we're getting smoke from all around. The winds are picking up and will be at its worse for the next 24 hours.

DH had the night shift today so he went surfing during the day and said that the ocean was covered with a layer of soot.

Be safe!! i was wondering when we would hear from some of the Cali contingent

Comment

We feel very fortunate we live far enough from all the fires that it won't reach us. But either way, it's a tough situation for our friends who had to evacuate their homes. I just can't even imagine.

Comment

I just had to add, what makes me boiling mad is that at least five of those fires were caused by arson. I can't even begin to comprehend how the individuals that are responsible for setting the fire could live this down. It is just devastating.

Here's a good site for up-to-date info in the San Diego area:
                http://www.topix.com/san-diego

Comment

Yes, to our CA contingent, please be safe.

DH called his brother last night and right now the fires are about 10-15 miles away from him still but what concerns us about him is that he lives in an apartment complex across the highway from an open field so if that field catches he could be in trouble.

I saw an interview with a family on the Today show this morning, so incredibly sad.
                  Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

This is a sad situation. Hope everyone is safe.

Comment

The parents of Rick's best friend are on a cross-country journey and they last heard that the fires were 10 miles or so from their home.

Scary.

Fluff- all of the management staff of the methadone unit is at a conference in SD right now. We haven't heard from them so I guess it's not too bad downtown.

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by jem
                        I just had to add, what makes me boiling mad is that at least five of those fires were caused by arson.
                        I just checked a map of the Santiago Canyon fire and it's at my aunt & uncle's back door. The Santa Anas are blowing in the opposite direction, though, so hopefully the firefighters will be able to keep it back.

That is one of the fires started by an arsonist.

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn
                          Fluff- all of the management staff of the methadone unit is at a conference in SD right now. We haven't heard from them so I guess it's not too bad downtown.
                          Thanks. I'd hope downtown wouldn't be affected...it just seems like such insanity, flying across the continent INTO that craziness. I was really jealous, though, that she'll get to see the fires from the plane. (though knowing DW, she'll have her head in the airsick bag, most likely).
                          Enabler of DW and 5 kids
                          Let's go Mets!

Comment

Aside from the poor air quality and the haze around the city, we are ok. We live close to downtown and are far enough from the Malibu and Lake Arrowhead fires.

It's quite creepy where we are, though. Honestly, there isn't an ounce of wind and it's extremely dry and eerily quiet. I haven't heard a single bird outside for 2 days now.

Comment

I just got a text message from my colleague that said that they're fine. Safe and not near the fires.

Jenn

Comment

Working...
                              X