Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

hair dye help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hair dye help

I bought some non-permanent hair dye(cinnamon auburn) that was really lovely. I applied it just as the package indicated and how I had always done years ago when I dyed my hair...but...the color was only picked up by 1/2 of my hair. I went and bought more color (thinking that was the problem) and specifically targeted the areas of my hair that were not taking up the dye.

They DIDN'T pick it up again!!! I look really entertaining (and of course I have Amanda's conferences tomorrow ) This has never happened to me before. Parts of my hair are so ORANGE and then other parts are mousy brown. Since I've already applied this twice, I don't really feel comfortable applying a third color to try and bring it back to normal. Even though this is the non-permanent stuff, I know it does a little bit of damage. This stuff is supposed to wash out in 28 washings....so...I washed myhair about...15 times hoping to dull it at least.....with no success at all.

Has this ever happened to anyone and...what should I do? Apparently, I should wear a black dress tomorrow, add a fake mole to my nose and come in costume to the conferences

kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Re: hair dye help

Kris, is this the first time you've done that to your hair since your chemo? I've heard that chemo makes your hair grow back completely different, maybe its not going to pick it up. Your only choice may be to die the part that did take back to the old color.
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I've dealt with this before but I think I'd need a picture to see exactly what the problem is. When I died my hair this time around (had to quit the salon because I'm broke ), I had to use three different permanent colors. My hair was ashy blonde but my natural regrowth was golden. It looked SO stupid after the first go (with a medium blonde.) The second go round I did a medium golden blonde on the hair and NOT the regrowth (except for the last 3-4 minutes). Lastly, I did frost/highlights to break it up. Now it looks GREAT and I've gotten lots of compliments. But it took a lot of work.

So... if you show me some pictures, I can hopefully talk you through it.

Comment

OMG- been there, done that. My hair has been neon yellow, peach, white, grey, greenish, black/white. I've fallen asleep with bleach in it (-thought I could take a nap ) and consequently my hair broke off. I've tried dying my own hair one too many times, and then after I screwed it up almost every single time, had to sheepishly removed my hat at the hair salon and explain myself to the hairdresser, and then get scolded. Like, a lot.

I wouldn't put more dye on your hair again. You'll damage it more. I was told that clarifying shampoo or dandruff shampoo will help strip the color. If it washes out (that's a really good thing!) then within a few days it will fade. Maybe put on a pretty headband scarf on to hide what you can, or pin it back into a chignon.

I can't imagine that it looks as bad as what I had on my head...
        you'll get your hair back to normal soon enough. No worries.

Comment

Isn't streaky hair cool though!?

Maybe you could go over it with some purple. I hear that's really in...

I know that's not what you want! Ugh. I'm awful. I'm sorry.

I clearly know nothing about hair dye, but it seems like people here do so...

:run:
          Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

How to Remove Hair Dye That Is Too Dark
            Steps
            1 Step One If you decided to try on a darker shade of hair color only to have it turn into a nightmare, rest assured that steps can be taken to correct this blunder. The key is to act as quickly as possible for best results. It is much easier to remove dye from your hair if the color is just a few days old.

2 Step Two Try L’Oreal’s Color Zap for a quick at-home reversal of your color blunder. This easy-to-use kit works after one application, gently removing dye from your hair while leaving your natural hair color intact and ready to re-color.This product works even on permanent hair dye.

3 Step Three If your new hair dye is only marginally darker than desired, you may want to try prematurely fading it. If the color you used was a semi-permanent color, rest assured that these colors fade quickly on their own and the process can be sped up by simply washing your hair more often.

4 Step Four If your too-dark hair dye is permanent, it can sometimes be faded by washing with a clarifying shampoo. Use one that is designed to remove product build-up or chlorine build-up from swimmer’s hair. These shampoos remove anything coating the hair shaft, including excess pigment.

5 Step Five Clarifying shampoos not doing it for you? Try using Head and Shoulders dandruff shampoo. This shampoo has long been known for its ability to strip color from hair. If you really need to fade your too-dark hair quickly, try shampooing with Head and Shoulders until your hair fades to the desired shade.
            from http://www.ehow.com/how_2003229_remove-hair-dye.html

I would also look on the company website... whatever brand you used usually has some advice.

Comment

I have done the same thing, but with permanent color...trying to save $$$$. I tried to use all-over color to hide my highlights that had grown out hideously, just to make my hair brown all over again. The highlights soaked up the dark color and really stood out very, very DARK. I had to crawl back to the hair stylist and explain what I'd done.

If I were you, I'd go to a salon and let them fix it.

Comment

...or what KarrotKake said.

Comment

Yeah, try the Color Zap, shampoos, and give it a few days to correct it. If that doesn't help, then head to the salon.

And condition, condition, condition!

Comment

Do you have a hair cutter school nearby? They may be able to help for a lot less. I just went to the Aveda Institute here and got my hair cut for $15!

Jenn

Comment

At this point it's a job for a professional. Or at least someone w/o 5 kids to look after while trying to pull of complicated hair stripping / highlighting.

Comment

Kris I could loan you a hijab for Amanda's confrence :>
                        ITA w/ going to a pro!

Comment

Kris I could loan you a hijab for Amanda's confrence
                          ITA w/ going to a pro!
                          :funnycry:

That would surely give Sartell something else to talk about!!!!

I agree with this is the time for a professional
                          Luanne
                          wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

It's starting to FADE.....Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think I've washed it 50 times (I thought it was only supposed to last for 28 washings....I guess since I used it twice that makes it 56? :> )

The good news is that if I have it up in a pony you can't tell as much because so much of it is still dark blonde/brown. My bangs just look...very happy.

Since it isn't permanent, I don't think that there is much that a hairdresser could do besides actually stripping it and redying it...I am going to see if continuing to wash it will get rid of it!

Kris

Comment

Originally posted by pinkpickles
                              Kris I could loan you a hijab for Amanda's confrence :>
                              ITA w/ going to a pro!
                              :>

I was up at the school yesterday and the secretary said "I like the color"..so I just told her what happened....we had a good laugh about it and she shared a highlighting story where they poked her hair through a cap and somehow managed to burn a lot of the hairs off. Oh the horrorrs. At least mine will eventually fade.

kris

Comment

Working...
                              X