Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

is it really my responsibility?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is it really my responsibility?

So, I ordered some books from Buy.com. They suck, so they of course messed up the order. They sent an extra book, that I didn't even order, and didn't pay for. It's a book my sis would like, by one of her fav authors. Anyway, I emailed cust service to tell them they sent me an extra book, and what did they want me to do?

They wanted me to send back "the kite runner" which I DID order and DID pay for. C'mon people- read the email.

I told them, no, I am not sending back the book I ordered and paid for. What do you want me to do with the EXTRA book.

They told me to send it back, just using the same return label and stuff.

I told them NO, I don't want to use that return label, because then they may say that I was supposed to send back Kite Runner. And anyway, I told them that I didn't have a shipping box and they'd have to send me one.

They wrote back that I can just use "any shipping box" and drop it at "any UPS facility".

So I wrote back that I am not going to go buy a shipping box, package it, and take it to a facility. It was not my mistake at all, and that if they want the book back, they can have the UPS guy come here with a shipping box.

DH laughs at me. He thinks I like email wars. I just want to do the right thing, but he says just to let it go and not send anything back, esp if they are not even nice in the emails (they aren't nice- they are patronizing and dumb. I hate being patronized when the "customer service" person doesn't even bother to read my 4 lines describing the problem...).

So I guess I will let it all die out, and if I don't here from them, just to send the book to my sis with my mom next time she comes.

Seriously, I hate shipping stuff. The packaging, the standing in line, etc., etc. Plus for nothing fun- just helping out a company that's always a PITA to deal with anyway...

(I mean, Secret Santa and cookie exchange shipping will be JOYFUL!!! )
    Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Re: is it really my responsibility?

Ugh, how annoying. Some reward for being honest, huh.

Comment

They actually called my home phone. Anyway, she told me that I could just use any box, ("did the book come in a brown box? Or was it like paper?") Good grief. I told her that it came in a box, but that DH takes out recycling and I don't have the box.

"Oh Ok, then, you can use whatever box"

I told her I'd put it in a manila envelope, and that I don't want to be held responsible if it gets lost or whatever. She seemed happy with that. I also told her that I was annoyed with them and that they never even said thank you and I was only trying to do the right thing.

"I understand, and we do appreciate it, we apologize" blah blah.

So I said, do you realize that it's an inconvenience to take my kids to some UPS place to drop it off?

"I understand, and..."

Anyway, I told her I won't shop there again. I have a huge Amazon box that I'm going to send it in. :>
      Amazon is better anyway. About 50 cents more expensive per book, but they are a whole lot faster...

Feeling snarky today... That I am.
      Peggy

Comment

I would have refused until they sent me something to ship it in. And a label to put on it. LOL

Oh, and Barnesandnoble.com has free shipping when you spend $25 and you usually get your stuff super-fast.
        Veronica
        Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

I would have refused until they sent me something to ship it in. And a label to put on it. LOL

If it didn't come by next month, I would've sent it to your sister as an early xmas present!
          Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

I just want it over with, so I put it in a manila envelop and it's sitting there. The book is translated by a Spanish author- I think he's Columbian actually. My sister prefers to read in Spanish, and I prefer not to read books by him! (ha ha- bad experience in my spanish lit class in college- he's just not my style).

So whatever. Boo for Buy.com. I love Amazon and will start checking B&N too...
            Peggy

Comment

I just figured out that B&N.com is on ebates, too. I don't like that you have to pay to join their rewards program though -- that sucks (I didn't join). Borders has an AWESOME rewards program.

Comment

I shop B&N through MyPoints.com to get reward points that I use to get gift cards. Just got a $50 gift card to Macy's today! Yeah me!
                Veronica
                Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

I prefer Amazon over B&N, they're several dollars cheaper for each book I've compared. It takes a few days longer to ship but I'm willing to put up with it for less $$$. Another site to check is Overstock.com.

Comment

If a company sends you a product that you did not order, you are not required to return it. They initiated the transaction with NO CONTRACT. They cannot force you to do jack--return the book they sent you without a contract for performance by you, or return the one the correctly sent you pursuant to the contract (as you properly fulfilled your portion of performance on that contract). They know this--or they are complete idiots.

If a company sends you an unsolicited product through the US Mail or other common carrier, then DEMANDS anything from you (payment, return, whatever), contact the US Post Office or the common carrier company and advise them (if it's the US Post Office, it could open an investigation).

However, as a Good Citizen and someone who does not want to be unjustly enriched due to an honest mistake on the part of the seller, just tell them you will be glad to help them clear up THEIR error provided that they give you the needed box and return label.

Comment

Thanks Abigail. I have the book still here- it's in a manila envelop. I'm supposed to drop it at a UPS store. They did send a UPS label which I had to print up on the computer, and then put the whole thing together... I may drop it by, I may not. Would they even notice? I could just donate it to the library.
                      Peggy

Comment

I can't believe they asked you to send the book back. They probably lost more money with the return shipping & restocking than if you had just kept the book. :huh:

Comment

I'm sorry to hear that you had such a pain with that whole ordeal. I hate to say that my DH and I are CURSED with stuff like that happening to us!!! Actually, I think it is DH's bad luck not mine (I never USED to have bad luck with such things). He is ALWAYS having ridiculous stuff like that happening to him (e.g. wrong food items at restaurants, "tailors" completely messing up his new suits and charging mucho dinero for their work, ordering books and receiving a book that is missing several chapters at the end, etc.) but he is the kind of person who refuses to complain about anything. Anyhow, I agree...Amazon is great. I love it! We actually have a Visa card that when you spend something like $2000 on it, you get a free $25 from Amazon. Therefore, we buy everything on the Visa and reap in the free cash.

Comment

Originally posted by peggyfromwastate
                            Thanks Abigail. I have the book still here- it's in a manila envelop. I'm supposed to drop it at a UPS store. They did send a UPS label which I had to print up on the computer, and then put the whole thing together... I may drop it by, I may not. Would they even notice? I could just donate it to the library.
                            Amazon.com once sent me a REALLY expensive book (list price was several hundred dollars!) along with a $14 book. They had NO CLUE what they'd done. I contacted them and they seemed very appreciative. They immediately sent me what I needed to return it. I would have donated it if they'd been toads, though.

I had a weird experience trying to return something once--roman shades to Bed, Bath & Beyond. I went to pay for five roman shades, each was about $50. At the same time, I was returning an expensive pot. Somehow, in the transaction, the pot was credited back in full, but only one of the roman shades was charged. So, I got $200 worth of shades for free. Arggh! Because the return of the pot had created a total hassle for reasons lost on me, I hadn't noticed the undercharge related to the shades until I got home. So I called BBB right away, asked to speak with a manager. No manager, so someone took a message. I explained what had happened and asked how the store wanted me to handle this...could I just give them my credit card, and they could charge me over the phone or did I need to bring the merchandise back to the store? The lady was really nasty and said that they had a huge problem with shoplifting and if I tried to bring merchandise into the store without a receipt, they'd assume it was stolen and they'd call the police. !!!! But, I protested, I didn't want to RETURN the merchandise for store credit...I wanted to PAY for it! She didn't get it. She said that they saw every type of trick and that if I'd stolen anything, I'd better just keep it or risk prosecution.

I just hung up. This was not worth my time. I know have lovely roman shades on every window in our living room--for $50 total.

Comment

I hear you Abigail. It is ridiculous how often people give us back stuff (extra change, charge us the wrong item, etc.), and then we try to be honest, and they get all snippy. So frustrating...
                              Peggy

Comment

Working...
                              X