Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Calling all lefties!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling all lefties!

I'm a lefty, are you? Find out what's so special about us!

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/n ... ies03.html

My grandmother tried to get me to be right-handed, until my mom swatted her on the nose.
    married to an anesthesia attending

Re: Calling all lefties!

Not a lefty, but my great grandfather was ambidexterious. What was amazing, was that he was an architect and would use both hands to draw. I never heard about this until this year, and thought was a wonderful family story, that no one has even shared!

My son is slightly ambidexterious, but has chosen to write right handed, but sometimes every once in a while he'll switch. I'm not into enforcing anything, other than consistancy - any way good in my book.

Comment

That's really cool!

Pretty much the only thing I do lefty is write - if you give me a ball, I'll throw it with my right hand. I play tennis and golf right-handed. I'm ambidextrous when it comes to cutting things with scissors. I'm really messed up!

Comment

I use my right hand for the computer mouse.

Comment

ds is a lefty. when im showing how to write a letter, or to hold his pencil properly...i really have to think. stupid me.

dh and i have both agreed that NOBODY better try to change him.
          ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

I don't blame my grandmother, because it's really much more difficult to write Japanese characters with your left hand. She signed me up for a calligraphy class when I was young, and I really sucked. There's no way to get the brush to stroke when you've got the left-handed hook thing going on.

My mil asked if it was genetic, because she thinks the left hook looks pretty silly. Dh put her in her place, thank goodness.

I hope (all) my kids are lefties just to piss her off. Nearly all of our recent presidents have been.

Comment

Originally posted by rainbabies
              ds is a lefty. when im showing how to write a letter, or to hold his pencil properly...i really have to think.
              My brother and his wife are both lefties, and their kids are both righties. it's hard to teach an opposite-handed kid stuff! My nephew has the most bizarre technique for tying his shoes--my mom thinks he had to sort of make it up himself because he couldn't follow what his lefty parents were showing him.

My husband is a lefty and he'll tell you it's the mark of a superior being.

My family has several lefties (more than the typical 10% anyway) and so they're usually taken into consideration when placing people around the dinner table--to avoid bumping elbows. It was always considered a courtesy, but my husband hates being relegated to "the left-handed ghetto" and avoids it. :huh:
              Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
              Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
              Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

I have three lefties in our family, my two uncles and DH's brother. We do the same thing about seating them on the corners so they don't bump people. They hate it.

I think teaching an opposite child would be very hard. I assume its genetic? Since we have it on both sides does that make our kids more likely to be lefty's?

Hmmm...
                Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzy Sunshine
                  I assume its genetic? Since we have it on both sides does that make our kids more likely to be lefty's?

Hmmm...
                  That's what I was taught in high school biology but my husband says no, it's not passed from parent to child like that.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”

Comment

If you click on the link to the article, there's a discussion on genetics.

Comment

I'm a lefty... or as they call me back home 'southpaw.' My parents are both right handed and had the hardest time teaching me how to tie shoes! Mom says she knew I was going to be left handed when I was a baby because I was sucking my left thumb! LOL!

When I was in junior high there was a whole store dedicated to lefties back home. Of course it's out of business now, but they sold the cuties stuff.... left handed scissors, and spiral binders with the metal spine switched to the opposite side (right side) so your left hand didn't rest on it!
                      Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
                      "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

Originally posted by alison
                        If you click on the link to the article, there's a discussion on genetics.
                        But reading is hard!

(just kidding)

Comment

Originally posted by Color_Me_Sulky
                          Not a lefty, but my great grandfather was ambidexterious. What was amazing, was that he was an architect and would use both hands to draw. I never heard about this until this year, and thought was a wonderful family story, that no one has even shared!

My son is slightly ambidexterious, but has chosen to write right handed, but sometimes every once in a while he'll switch. I'm not into enforcing anything, other than consistancy - any way good in my book.
                          My fil too. We've heard from his co-workers how dexterous he was at surgery - I suppose the ambidextrous-ness helped! It kind of scares me to think of being able to use both of my hands equally well - - - freaky - - - I don't know what I'd do with it. Guess I'm just used to my clumsy left hand.

m

Comment

Originally posted by monadatter
                            Originally posted by Color_Me_Sulky

My fil too. We've heard from his co-workers how dexterous he was at surgery - I suppose the ambidextrous-ness helped! It kind of scares me to think of being able to use both of my hands equally well - - - freaky - - - I don't know what I'd do with it. Guess I'm just used to my clumsy left hand.

m

ooooh, and I forgot to mention:

that although dh is right handed, he bats and plays hockey left handed. I guess he got a little of it from his dear old dad. Dd now plays hockey left handed too - although she's right handed. I remember when she was a toddler and pushing a stroller with her left hand while running our neighbors who were both left handed said she was certainly left handed. She now seems right handed but just uses the left for sports.

Once I heard on public radio that men who are left handed use their brains more like women? Something about the information moving between the two sides?

I've also heard that people are either left or right eyed. Someone I know found out about this doing archery.

okay, now I'm done.

bye!

Comment

People do have a dominate eye, I have nothing to back this up but I wonder if its usually the same as your handed-ness. My BIL is a lefty but plays golf as a righty.
                              Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Working...
                              X