Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Dishing Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dishing Turkey

Brining has produced the best turkey for me. I've usually put together the brine myself. This year, however, I'm cheating and got the Williams-Sonoma brine and brining bag. The only bad thing about brining is that it makes the gravy salty when using the turkey drippings. I like it, though.

Comment

We brine and then roast. I have a big stock pot, that I have used for the past two years. I definitely want to brine my turkey this year, but I'm going to need a bigger bird. I'll use a bag, I think.

My brother and I concoct our own brining solution - we had pepper corns, kosher salt, bay leaves, some cayenne pepper and a few other things in there too.
      We leave it in the pot overnight, and then we give it a quick bath with water. Then we slather the bird with butter.

Maybe I'll let my brother's girlfriend do that last part. Just to get her taste buds flowing. :> I'm so mean.
      married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I saw some nice brining stuff in a jar at World Market today.
        Needs

Comment

Originally posted by Phoebe
          I saw some nice brining stuff in a jar at World Market today.
          Do you recall how much it is?
          I saw some at Crate and Barrel, but it's pretty pricy - $12 for 18 oz.
          married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Originally posted by Jane
            Why don't the bags freak people out? I don't trust plastic that can go in the oven. It just doesn't seem right to me.

It does freak me out a little. I'm sure it is food safe plastic and all but...with all that heat? I give it the once a year pass. I don't think it is a big deal with the brining part since it stays cold.

And I agree with whoever said the gravy from a brined turkey can get salty. I like the gravy but usually add no salt.

I might have to roast a turkey this year if we don't have dinner here. Though the oven is sure the drive me crazy. :banghead:

Comment

I cooked one once a few years ago. I don't eat meat, so I didn't eat it, but made it for dh. I followed the brineing tips from Atlon Brown and stuffed it with some herbs (rosemary, thyme). It looked great - juicy & tender. Dh said it was really good.
              Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

DH is in charge of the turkey and I get the rest of the dishes. He does this thing where he stuffs the cavity of the bird with citrus fruits (some cut, some whole) and shoves some sliced up pieces under the skin with fresh made butter. He also rubs down the top of the skin with the butter, salt and various spices. (I think mainly rosemary and thyme.)

DH and the kids have a tradition of making butter on Thanksgiving morning. Seriously. They roll this stupid tin with a clothespin and heavy cream in it around the living room floor for a few hours until they have a couple ounces of butter in it. Makes the kids feel like they're "helping" without my kitchen ending up looking like WWIII.

He then covers the breast and legs of the turkey with tin-foil until about the last 45 minutes and only bastes it everyone hour or so. It always comes out very moist, tender, and delicious.

Comment

Working...
                X