Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Teacher holiday gifts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teacher holiday gifts

What I really want to know is how much to spend on a gift card. Between the kids there are SIX teachers, one of whom watches them at her home after school several times a month.
    Mom to three wild women.

Re: Teacher holiday gifts

Oh- good question. I'm sure Nikolai's crunchy school has some socially appropriate outlet but...just in case they don't- I need to know. We gave the day care ladies fifty bucks cash each last year but somehow it doesn't seem right for a 'real' teacher.

Jenn

Comment

When I've bought gift cards, I do $15 to $20. One thing I do like about our elementary school is that they have a tree w/gift "suggestions" from the teachers -- intending that the gifts are to be used in their classroom. It makes it a bit easier.

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn
        We gave the day care ladies fifty bucks cash each last year

Jenn
        WOW!

We used to do a lot of homemade gifts for teachers but that seems to have fallen by the wayside because I just don't have the time. We have been giving $25 gift cards the last 2 years to the main teachers. Now that Amanda and Andrew are in the multiple teachers years, I'll let them pick out a book or small gift for a teacher that they really love...other than that, we'll probably do a $25 Barnes and Noble gift certificate for Alex's teacher. I'm not sure yet with Aidan's teacher...crunchy school= possibly homemade gift :>

Kris
        ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
        ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I just pay my out of state tuition!!!!!!
          Luanne
          wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Sorry to Hijack, but in the case where you have a babysitter (3 days/week), how much should I give her for x-mas? $75? $100? More? Less?
            Wife to a PGY-7 Interventional Cardiology Fellow, Mom to two. DS(7) and DD(3).

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn
              We gave the day care ladies fifty bucks cash each last year but somehow it doesn't seem right for a 'real' teacher.
              Jenn- As a former teacher, I can tell you that almost any teacher would TREASURE a gift of $50 cash! There were many teachers that I worked with who were just barely making it financially - really some weren't. The PTA at my school gave each teacher a $50 gift card to a mall each Christmas, and there were teachers who budgeted for that card every year. Also, payroll double-payed us the pay period before Christmas and made up for it by not paying us the first week of January. Talk about some starving teachers in January! A fifty dollar cash gift to a teacher would be the talk of the faculty meeting!

Ladybug122- we gave the babysitter a $50 gift card to Target (her favorite store.)

Comment

Trust me, $50 is nothing in DC.

I figure these people have my child in their care more often than he is in MY care. I think $50 is the minimum.

Jenn

Comment

Check with the school about the cash gift though. When I taught, we weren't "allowed" to accept cash gifts over $25 dollars but I gift certificates somehow didn't count...I loved the gift certificates to the mall and the local area shops like Starbucks and the local breakfast lunch joint.

One of my favorite gifts...baked goods!! I was just surprised that the kids even gave gifts...I don't remember doing all that when I grew up.
                  Danielle
                  Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

this thread has me worried. i dont have the $$ to gift ds's three pre-school teachers. do you think a tin of cookies each w/a thank you note is okay?
                    ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

I think that is fine, Sylvia.

We don't do a group gift for Christmas but we do for the end of the school year. Our suggested donation is usually around $10 and we end up getting something really nice for the teacher. I usually do Starbucks cards or a gift card to a local bakery for Christmas gifts. They sell really cute decorated cookies (ribbon included ) and I gave that with the gift card.

My bff is a first grade teacher. She appreciates every gift she gets but...she has an awful lot of wooden apples and apple theme gifts and teacher-theme ornaments.

Comment

Working...
                      X