Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Hey Overseas Travellers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hey Overseas Travellers

Originally posted by DCJenn
    Hey Alison, if you go the website, I bet you can still make the claim!

Jenn
    What website???

Comment

Nope- it says ANY credit/charge/debit or ATM card...

Jenn

Comment

Vishenka-

I'll post the link from home unless some of the other peeps have the link w/ them.

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn
          Vishenka-

I'll post the link from home unless some of the other peeps have the link w/ them.

Jenn
          Jenn, thanks. I can really use hundreds of dollars these suckers pocketed from me.

Comment

NEW YORK - Some 30 million people across the nation are receiving notices that they may be eligible for $25 or more from the settlement of a class action suit over foreign currency conversions on credit and debit cards.

The case alleged that card companies overcharged when converting foreign transactions into dollars and didn't disclose all fees. It looked at currency conversion fees — often up to 3 percent of the transaction value — on credit card and debit card as well as cards used to tap automated teller machines.

People who held cards that were branded by Visa, MasterCard or Diners Club and issued by major American banks, including JPMorgan Chase and Co. or Citigroup Inc., are part of the class.

A $336 million settlement in the case, which had been brought in 2001, was announced in July 2006 and affirmed by a court in November 2006.

The defendants denied any wrongdoing, but said they settled to avoid the expense and uncertainty of litigation.

Ruthanne Gordon, an attorney with Berger & Montague PC, a Philadelphia law firm that handled the case, said she expects millions of people to respond to the mailing.

Lawyer David Langer said that the firm has created a Web site at http://www.ccfsettlement.com with details of who is eligible for a payment and how to file a claim. There also is a toll-free number of 800-945-9890, but he warned that it has been experiencing a "huge volume" of calls.

Consumers will have three refund options to choose from, Gordon said.

The easiest is a $25 refund, recommended for those with limited travel outside of the United States between Feb. 1, 1996, and Nov. 8, 2006. Others can seek larger refunds by providing estimates of their foreign spending, either based on typical spending or annual estimates.

The case was brought by Berger & Montague as well as the firm of Lerach, Coughlin, Stoia, Geller, Rudman & Robbins in New York; that firm has since reorganized into Coughlin, Stoia, Geller, Rudman & Robbins LLP.

Comment

does this go for people that lived overseas or just for vacationing people? I didn't get a letter that I know of, but we lived overseas for 20 months and used our american cr cards and atm card to pay for all our bills and expenses... Even 1% would be alot for us... :huh:
              Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
              "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

I would guess it would apply to you. I think the issue is with cards based at these American banks, and the conversion rates they used. If you were paying euro totals and getting bills in American dollars, it probably applies to you.

Comment

I finally got my own paperwork in the mail yesterday. I would love to do option #3 but that would involve 2 closed checking accounts and several canceled credit cards. Since some of these have been closed/canceled about 7-10 years ago, can I still get the records? I can easily prove overseas travel with stamps in the passports but is that all that's required for #2? They definitely didn't make this easy on us.

Comment

One of my credit cards was cancelled years ago- and they didn't bat an eye. I'm sure they're getting a HUGE number of requests.

It's pretty vague- the directiosn for number three kind of make it sound like if you need to prove something, then you know how to access the information. They made it very clear they don't want copies of receipts.

Jenn

Comment

Good thing I saw this post, I was just about to toss the letter I am always amazed how easily we can be found by the govt!
                      Danielle
                      Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

Working...
                      X