Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

When it's nice to have a doctor in the house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When it's nice to have a doctor in the house

So, back in October, my uncle died unexpectedly. He had been hospitalized for a couple of days (admitted with "pneumonia"), but decompensated quickly. Because of the rapid decline and unexpected passing, my aunt and cousins decided they wanted to go ahead with an autopsy.

The family was told that it would take about 4-6 weeks for the autopsy report to be completed, and they would be able to sit with his primary care MD to go over the report. Well, 8+ weeks passed and no word about the report from his primary care MD. My aunt called several times, with no response. At long last, they were told that they did have the report, but the MD was too busy to sit down and go over it. Finally, a week later, my cousin just went to the office and picked up the report. At that time, she was told by the MD that he "hadn't even looked at it." Nice. Thanks a bunch. What a jerk.

DH offered to read over the autopsy and go over it with my family. So last night, DH was on a conference call with my aunt, cousin, and Dad for over 40 minutes going over the report and explaining what each piece meant, etc. He was very patient and explained (and re-explained) things in a very easy to understand way.

I am so grateful that he did this for my aunt. At the time my uncle died, my aunt was in Ireland visiting her family, so she had no closure to his passing. The autopsy was the last piece to all of this, and having DH explain it as well as he did, brought everyone great peace.

I just love my DH!
    Wife to a PGY-7 Interventional Cardiology Fellow, Mom to two. DS(7) and DD(3).

Re: When it's nice to have a doctor in the house

Kudos to your DH!

I think they're more likely to help when they can and choose to under their own will then the annoying family or friends that ask for free advice all the time. MY DH has helped my grandmother a lot through my grandfather's alzheimers.

Again, major kudos to your DH.
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

That is great. My DH is also helpful when needed.
      Luanne
      wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

That is a heartwarming story.
        married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Aw that was so nice of him!

Comment

Very nice. I'm sure it meant alot to them.

Comment

very nice.

DW spent an hour sunday going over my aunt's breast cancer treatment plan with her. It was much appreciated by all in the family.
              Husband of an amazing female physician!

Comment

Very nice of your DH. They can be handy at times, can't they?

Comment

It's also nice to have an architect in the family. And a lawyer.
                  My parents are the former, and are always asked for advice.
                  married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

That is wonderful that your husband could take the time and help your aunt in that way. Good for him.

On the other had... what a jerk this other doctor is! What's his problem?? Just because your patent passes doesn't mean you don't finish up everything that needs to be done for that pt including reviewing the autopsy report. I had a very bad experience with a doctor last week and it just blows my mind how some doctors will not do their jobs 100% especially when they know better....

Again, I'm so glad to hear your hubby could step in and really help your aunt.
                    Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
                    "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

Working...
                    X