Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Worst Commute EVer!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst Commute EVer!!

So, I live in Providence, RI. In New England, yes, but RI doesn't typically get a lot of snow because there is so much water, between the Atlantic and the Bay. So, yesterday it was predicted that we were going to get 5-10 inches of snow, starting in mid-afternoon and ending by 9pm or so. Well, it started snowing around 11am, and schools and businesses let everyone out early. I was allowed to leave work at 2:15.

So, I pick up DS at his daycare across the street (yay convenience!!) and start to drive home. DH went to med school in Syracuse, NY where they get a TON of snow, so I really wasn't too worried. I could deal with this.

Well, there were so many cars on the road at the same time, the whole state was a huge traffic jam. RI has major traffic issues anyway (especially Providence), so add in bad weather and lots of cars and you have a whopping disaster. I live 3 miles from where I work. It took me 4 hrs and 20 minutes to get home!!!! NO JOKE!!

Poor DS (almost 2) in the back was actually pretty good, but he was super bored and hungry. Finally I found a lollipop from God knows when, but DS is in that finicky stage where he doesn't like his hands to be dirty or sticky so he didn't want it.

I listened to about a million christmas carols and tried to distract DS in every way I could, but 4+ hours of car time with a 2 year old when you are unprepared for it, stinks big-time.

Anyway, we made it home safetly and soundly by 7pm. Unfortunately, DH was on long call in the ICU so I had to shovel by myself. Oh, well. Gave me an excuse to eat some Christmas cookies (you know, all the calories I burned shoveling...hehe).
    Wife to a PGY-7 Interventional Cardiology Fellow, Mom to two. DS(7) and DD(3).

Re: Worst Commute EVer!!

Oh, how terrible - I feel for you, the first snow always seems to bring out the issues!
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

That is insane! Sounds like you deserved those Christmas cookies.

Comment

Oh dear!! 4 hours I am glad you didn't run out of gas...I guess I won't be complaining about the NYC public transportation for a bit.
        Danielle
        Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

Wow.

I'm going to get a car kit ready now...

Comment

Wow. I just can't even imagine. I've always lived in the south, so a few inches of snow makes everyone crazy. We do get a big snow every few years and the whole city shuts down.

I'm glad you made it home safely.

I think I'm going to pack an emergency kit for the car, too. Good idea!

Comment

Wow. That sucks. My first thought was, "I guarantee if that happened to me, I'd have to pee. Then what would I do?" :huh:

Glad you got home safely.

Comment

It is amazing how snow can cause so much chaos. It doesn't matter how well you can drive in it, it's that so many people freak out.

Glad you made it home, and shoveling snow! That is super hard work and super calorie burning...
                Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Originally posted by Ladybug
                  Originally posted by Ladybug122
                  I live 3 miles from where I work. It took me 4 hrs and 20 minutes to get home!!!! NO JOKE!!
                  :thud:

With a hungry toddler?!

:thud: :thud: :thud:

I would have been the crazy lady that ended up on the news running down the street, screaming, crying and pulling my hair out.
                  No kidding. My kids do fine in the car ... if it's moving. It's always been that way. I'd probably have abandoned my car and walked home.

Comment

Originally posted by Ladybug122
                    but 4+ hours of car time with a 2 year old when you are unprepared for it, stinks big-time.
                    Stinky in more way than one, I am sure!

Comment

You got it!

This has taught me to always have a couple of diapers, granola bars, and juice boxes in the car...AT ALL TIMES!
                      Wife to a PGY-7 Interventional Cardiology Fellow, Mom to two. DS(7) and DD(3).

Comment

Originally posted by slickest1
                        Wow. I just can't even imagine. I've always lived in the south, so a few inches of snow makes everyone crazy. We do get a big snow every few years and the whole city shuts down.

I'm glad you made it home safely.

I think I'm going to pack an emergency kit for the car, too. Good idea!

Unbelieveable! I probably have less patience than a 2 year old in that situation. And knowing my luck that would've been the day we would've tried out underwear instead of diapers. :thud:
                        Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Originally posted by *Lily*
                          We are in CT and yesterday the governor actually told all tractor trailers to get off the interstate since the salt trucks couldn't get through to treat them. Glad I stayed home.

and I got up this morning to find that my neighbor had plowed our sidewalk and the walk to our front door! What a sweetie. Apparently he got a new plow last year and plows two houses in each direction of his.

I am very thankful he did as DH is on nights and it was long enough for me to shovel the deck and steps down into the yard.
                          Oh gezzz! Why can't I live next door to him! Arrrgggg...

DH calls me at 6:10PM and says he will need a ride from the station. I was so mad. I knew I was going to have to get out there in the dark and shovel away. I guess I was the only unhappy one out there today.
                          Thank God I'm leaving the statein 3 weeks!
                          Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
                          "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

My neighbor does our driveway too - especially if he knows dh is out of town. He doesn't do the two houses thing. He does ours, and the people 2 doors over from him (on the other side). Just the ones he really likes. He skips right over the moron who felt the need to let me know the Batmobile isn't street legal.

Last week he was scoped in the morning (for continuing abdominal pains), came home and shoveled his driveway, then ours. (A light snow, but still!). And then Quinn yelled at him to stop b/c he wanted to sled down it.

Comment

Originally posted by *Lily*
                              You know, I really like it here so far. I wouldn't be surprised if we settled here for good.
                              Honestly I did love it here until yesterday. :|
                              Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
                              "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

Working...
                              X