Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Target bag recycling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Target bag recycling

I'm appalled that Target doesn't have a recycling recepticle at their stores. The number of bags I accumulate on a weekly basis (I grocery shop there too) is sick. I re-use them when I can, but will never come out ahead. I've asked several store employees if they have a recycling program, and they don't, so I decided to write an email to Target encouraging them to start one. If you'd like to do the same, use this form.

http://www.target.com/gp/help/display-c ... ayLink=tsq

Re: Target bag recycling

Our local major grocery stores, now have used bag receptacles at the entrances.
    I'll send off a quick e-mail to ask Target to get w/ it!

Comment

Jenn,

Go and get yourself some of the cloth shopping bags and keep them in your car. That whole recycle the plastic bag thing is more of a consumer feel good thing as opposed to a real recycling effort anyway, I think...They suck up so much petroleum to make...it's just better to walk away from plastic altogether.

http://www.reusablebags.com/facts.php?id=5

Kris
      ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
      ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I have some and do use them, but if I'm going to get 10 bags of groceries, chances are I'm not going to have enough canvas bags with me at all times. Either way, they should offer a way to recycle the things. The plastic bags aren't going away.

Comment

I always get pissed that in Germany you've got to pay for bags at the counter. Yes, you pay for them. Since you save money by bringing your own, carrying a few spare bags around is suddenly not a problem anymore. It forces you to recycle. I don't think that would work here...
          married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

It's funny, Alison, but in Germany, no matter how much I bought I always made sure to bring enough reusable cloth bags. I folded and tucked them all into one bag and usually brought too many.

Now that I live in the US where I don't HAVE to do it, I often don't....

We Americans are lazy, lazy creatures.

Kris
            ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
            ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I have a stash of cloth bags from Germany here. When my mil comes to visit she brings stuff in them and leaves the bags here.

I don't bring cloth bags when we shop. Dh doesn't either. We're lazy. The one thing I do appreciate in the US is that I don't have to bag my own stuff with someone on my heels with their da*n cart *and* the checkout lady just sitting there shoving my things at me.

We have it pretty darn good here...

Sorry for:

Comment

Alison, if you want to unload some of those bags, let me know. I'd be happy to take 'em off your hands.

Comment

Originally posted by Jane
                  Alison, if you want to unload some of those bags, let me know. I'd be happy to take 'em off your hands.
                  Back on topic! Unfortunately, they're not in very good condition. They're the ones that were on their last leg and that my mil was willing to part with. I will definitely let you know if I find some that are in better condition.

Comment

Ikea charges for plastic bags...

We mostly shop at Costco (no plastic bags, but craploads of "packing material") - and we reuse all the plastic bags we get, then we recycle at a grocery store (Safeway has the receptacles here.)

Because of Costco, and the pain of carrying stuff back and forth from the car, I did buy a big cold-storage grocery bag thing... That's my contribution to the environment...
                    Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

I have the green cloth bags that I bought from the grocery store, but I usually forget and leave them in the car. I have to try harder.
                      Luanne
                      wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Oh that's right, Peggy. Ikea charges now for bags. When they were free, I would grab a few more and bring them home to line my bathroom garbage can.

Comment

I keep the canvas ones in my car for small batch shopping but I do use the paper ones for recycling paper, magazines and newspapers. Nikolai's school (of course) has a paper recycling drop zone and they make money on the donations (like for the ENTIRE dumpster? maybe 20 bucks. how sad is that?) We have a shredder so I use the shreds for packing materials or I'll take the bags to the bin.

Jenn

Comment

I was floored when I read that are recycling will not accept shredded junk mail! :huh: We just tear around our names,shred the smaller pieces and then place the torn junk mail in the recycle bin.

Comment

BTW I am going to look into getting plastic bag outdoor area rugs for our new patios.

Comment

Working...
                              X