Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

cell phone, blackberry, huh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cell phone, blackberry, huh?

I feel like the resident doofus, but I know nothing about cell phones. What should I look for? Are QWERTY keypads hard to use? I intend on using it to call friends in privacy, email DH, take fug photos... Should we get a family plan?

:huh:

Re: cell phone, blackberry, huh?

One word:

iPhone.

Jenn

Comment

The problem with QWERTY phones IMO is that they tend to be large. Well wide anyway. The blackberry pearl is normal sized but the keys are tiny and I find them weird to use (bc they are not straight across but sort of angled downwards).

Are you used to text messaging? If you are, you can just type out quick emails with a regular alphanumeric keypad using the T9 (auto-complete for words... takes a while to get used to it but once you do, you'll never go back).

As for the family plan, it would probably make sense. It depends on your usage and if your carrier gives free network to network calls. You will most likely want to at least be on the same network as your DH. You should check out your landline company to see if they have any packages available (like free phone calls from cell to home or vice versa).

Comment

The iPhone is really cool (I played w/Rick's when we were in SA). I just got a Palm Centro for Christmas and am falling madly in love with it. It's got a QWERTY keyboard that at first glance looks really tiny, but I'm quickly adapting to it. The keys are shaped in a way that makes it easier to only hit the key you intend. It's easy to get online - I've got mine set up to access my gmail account, picasa web pages, google search, etc. It uses Palm software, so I can enter my address book on my computer and then sync it with the press of a button. It's got bluetooth (if your car does - mine doesn't - but the bluetooth works for sync-ing). It links the address book w/google maps, so I can instantly map the address of anyone in my address book.

I think it's pretty fun.

Comment

DH has a blackberry and I hate the thing.

If he calls me on it it picks up ALL background noise. If he's in a train station or airport it's practically impossible to hear him. He also accidentally hangs up on people with it all the time - something about how the buttons are positioned.
          Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
          With fingernails that shine like justice
          And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Even if your car isn't hooked up for blue-tooth technology many of the current GPS systems you can place in your car DO work with blue tooth. It's awesome.

Comment

A friend of mine told me to buy phones and plans on amazon.com.

I've never done it myself, but she said she got phones for ridiculously cheap or free.

Check it out maybe. :huh:

Comment

I just got my birthday present last night:

iphone

It is the most AWESOME thing on the planet. Seriously.

I love, love, love it. It is my favorite toy!

If you can, get an iphone!!!

Comment

I hate DH's blackberry or Treo or whatever that thing is. I'm about to toss it through the window. He bought it off ebay and I wonder if that is part of the problem. Maybe a new one would be better.

He does have bluetooth and I wish my car had that.

Comment

"Jane" - I don't have a clue as to what half of the words are that you said in your post about the iphone u got for christmas. Once a techy always a techy. You are going to have to teach me what that means. I just got a new phone last week- it rocks. I don't know what it is- all I know is that I can text my dear hubby all day to find out when he is going to be home for dinner. Yeah, that's likely.

Comment

So...I looked up iPhone. I don't think I'm ready to spend that much.

I may wait until I know where we'll be in 6 months. DH also suggested a tablet PC, but that doesn't help much when I'm stranded.

I only have a vague idea of what bluetooth is.

Comment

Working...
                      X