Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

DCJenn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DCJenn

I had that conversation about 10 times on Saturday night.

I think every time I have to have that conversation, my husband should be shocked. ETA: and by shocked, I mean with electricity.

Jenn

Re: DCJenn

That's so funny but so very true. Just this December I had to explain to a relative that cardiologists are not surgeons. Sure, they may do invasive procedures, but they're not quite surgeons.

And then you wonder why people don't understand what the big deal is with rotations, residencies, and call.
    Cristina
    IM PGY-2

Comment

Jenn, we actually had to explain the difference to a stupid medical insurance company once. They wanted Alex (already diagnosed with one surgery under his belt) to see a neurologist. I proceeded to call every single stinkin' neurologist in the DFW area (no joke - took me days) and have them formally decline seeing my son (because he truly needed a surgeon). THEN I had to contact every pediatric neurologist in the area and have THEM formally decline seeing my son in favor of a peds neurosurgeon. It was ri-di-cu-lous that the people I was dealing with didn't know the difference between a pediatric neurologist and a pediatric neurosurgeon. :banghead:
      Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
      With fingernails that shine like justice
      And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Jenn-

Sadly, I'm not surprised. I'm not even sure our family members could explain the difference.

I guess the good news is that hopefully people don't know because they don't need him. (We always tell people that my husband is one of those docs you never want to have to see)

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by MissCrabette
          That's so funny but so very true. Just this December I had to explain to a relative that cardiologists are not surgeons. Sure, they may do invasive procedures, but they're not quite surgeons.

And then you wonder why people don't understand what the big deal is with rotations, residencies, and call.
          Yeah, well, people think dh's job is a radiology tech. Typical conversation:

Person: So, what do you do?
          DH: I'm a radiologist
          Person: Oh! So is my cousin.
          DH: Really? Where did he do his training? Maybe I know him/her!
          Person: Oh, they went to some (insert tech school/program here).
          DH: So, he/she is a technologist. They take the films, prep, etc. I read and interpret the studies.
          Person: Yeah, she/he is a radiologist - they take the x-rays.

:banghead:

Yup, I survived dh's four years of med school and five years of residency - all after four years of college - so he could "take x-rays".

Comment

Well, my little brother is a high school wrestler and there's this chiropractor (I probably spelled that wrong) that hands out cards to the wrestlers and their parents trying to recruit new business. His business card calls him a "neurologist". What an idiot. Talk about false advertising!! He's this big muscle-head too... Sad part is that most people don't know the difference.
            DH and I want to corner him sometime and ask him about his training...
            Wife to a PGY-7 Interventional Cardiology Fellow, Mom to two. DS(7) and DD(3).

Comment

Oh that would be funny...

Jenn

Comment

I hate when people (even those who've had surgery) think that anesthesiologist just put an IV in and then read the paper. Even with so many medical shows on TV they're still shocked to hear there's a tube and complicated machinery involved. And I hate how most assume that any doctor knows everything about every body part.

Comment

I am pretty sure that you can actually get prosecuted for calling yourself a "neurologist" when you are a chiropractor! It could get somebody seriously hurt (or killed). Honestly, that's impersonating a medical doctor when you are most certainly NOT one!

Comment

Working...
                  X