Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

CSA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CSA?

Is anyone a member of a CSA ( community supported agriculture)? I would like to join one this summer but the upfront cost is kind of scary- around $500-600 for 20 weeks of veggies boxes. I wonder if we would eat it all or end up wasting it, or end up buying other stuff at the grocery on a whim which would make it less cost effective.
    Mom to three wild women.

Re: CSA?

Originally posted by Cumberland
    Is anyone a member of a CSA ( community supported agriculture)? I would like to join one this summer but the upfront cost is kind of scary- around $500-600 for 20 weeks of veggies boxes. I wonder if we would eat it all or end up wasting it, or end up buying other stuff at the grocery on a whim which would make it less cost effective.
    In our area, we can do a half or quarter share, depending on the program.
    Kris

Comment

Ours are already sold out for the year. Dammit.

J

Comment

We've done this at 3 different farms over the past 6 years or so and have really enjoyed it. The produce has been amazing. The recipes the farmers send along are great and seem to always use what's in the box that week. It's fun for my kids because they get to go to the farm and know the farmers. It also gets us out of our usual buying/eating habits - trying new things - and eating seasonally puts us more in touch with when things are actually ripe where we live. I think that's all good and worth the investment.
        Sometimes, we've wasted food - too many rutabegas and greens... But, I've wasted food that I've bought at the grocery store as well. (I just composted about 4 black bananas today). The farm we've been with for the past few years has had some really productive years - so lots of food for the money we put in. They also do some swapping with other farms to get us more variety.
        I highly recommend trying it!

Comment

I planned on joining one this year, but most of our local farms did poorly last year because of the weather and I was afraid that this year would be the same. Maybe next year... Can your CSA provide a list of what veggies and fruits you'll be receiving and when?

Comment

Not this year but I have in the past and highly recommend it. I agree with the suggestion about doing a half share or finding someone to split a share. That was plenty for our family.

Comment

I have always loved it. I split a share with a neighbor. Aboutn 1/4 of it we pick ourselves, and I love this part.
              Luanne
              wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Now that we live in farm country, I try to get as much as produce and meat from local farmers' markets. That way I can choose the products and quantity myself, without being locked into a share.

Comment

It is funny that you have posted this because I'm strongly contemplating this. Our grocery bills are outrageous because of all the produce that I buy. I'm looking into local programs as we speak.

Kelly
                  In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Davita & I are signing up for one here. It's very reasonable, IMO. $80 initial fee, $16/week and then 3 weeks free at the end of the season (refunding part of the deposit).

I'm excited! Thanks for posing the question Sue Anne - I never would have thought to find this!

Comment

Of all things, I was at work at the hospital today and saw a brochure about a local CSA that is pretty new. It turns out, in the small world that this town is, the two women running it are part time RNs, and one I had met before. The CSA works in 6 week blocks- so I signed up for this six weeks- for 1/2 share to be received every other week. It is $25 every other week. A Dr overheard us talking, and said she has been a member for a few months and loves it and that a half share is a really good amount. AND they deliver! I hope it works out bc I have been wanting to do this for a while.
                      Mom to three wild women.

Comment

Working...
                      X