Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Bonding with inlaws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bonding with inlaws

I have nothing in common with my inlaws.

My two SILS are doctors and so is my BIL, so naturally they swap "my employees suck" stories. (My MIL also works for my SIL.) I am so childish, I feel like screaming, "Can we discuss something that doesn't involve medicine so I can contribute to the dicussion. My opinion is soooo imporant!"

I can't talk to my FIL because...every topic I start goes back to 1.) Republican issues 2.) how homeschooling is wrong.

Nice people but outside of talking about weather, I have nothing to share.

Our parenting styles differ too.

Any ideas how to bond with these people after 8 years? LOL

Re: Bonding with inlaws

How about bonding through hobbies or activities? Maybe you have some common interests in those areas? If not, maybe trying to learn about one of their interests or vice versa. :huh:

Maybe even doing activities (hobby-related or not) that don't require a lot of talking -- e.g. watching sports, movies, etc. Or something outside of sitting around chatting -- like going to a park? :huh:

Comment

I've got nothing, but I feel your pain. I have so little in common with my in-laws that it is startling that I married into the family.
      Kris

Comment

Originally posted by amyli
        I have nothing in common with my inlaws.

My two SILS are doctors and so is my BIL, so naturally they swap "my employees suck" stories. (My MIL also works for my SIL.) I am so childish, I feel like screaming, "Can we discuss something that doesn't involve medicine so I can contribute to the dicussion. My opinion is soooo imporant!"

I can't talk to my FIL because...every topic I start goes back to 1.) Republican issues 2.) how homeschooling is wrong.

Nice people but outside of talking about weather, I have nothing to share.

Our parenting styles differ too.

Any ideas how to bond with these people after 8 years? LOL
        I hear you.

The only way I could bond with my ILs would be through a truly unfortunate Krazy Glue mishap.

That is not a recommendation, by the way.

Hang in there.

Comment

They are not going to change. I find most of the medical folks have HUGE egos and can't think past three feet around themselves. Find a way to amuse yourself and tolerate their rude behavior.
          Luanne
          wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I just don't. I mean, after 10 years, I honestly feel like I have tried and I've come to the realization it's not going to happen. I cannot change who they are, they cannot change who I am. And I refuse to pick up a hobby or interest just to have something in common with them. It's just not me. Why force it?

We get along fine. We see each other for major holidays, most birthdays or other family occasions (baptisms mainly) but DH is fine with leaving it at that. He is not like them or obviously we would not be married so it's not like he is itching to hang with them either.

Comment

I find that alcohol helps a lot in those family situations.

Seriously, we get to Palmdale and before we even stop at his mother's house, we stock up on beer, wine and food at Trader Joes.

I have only their son in common with those people.

Jenn

Comment

I get along with my ILs but also don't have much in common with them. It used to bother me a lot but it doesn't anymore, being civil to each is enough. We do hang out with BIL once every few months or so. Luckily everyone is pretty busy and we don't live that close (same goes for my family too). At family events I usually end up talking to DH's cousin's aunt. Out of a full room of relatives, she's the most interesting person.

Comment

Originally posted by tlew12778
                  He is not like them or obviously we would not be married so it's not like he is itching to hang with them either.
                  My problem is that even though my hubby's not like my in-laws...he still LOVES spending time with them! It wouldn't be so bad except that his mother likes to over-analyze EVERYTHING I do...in a "therapist" type way...
                  ("I don't think you love us because you didn't have as many pictures of us from your wedding up", "I think Chris is depressed because he always wears jeans"...)
                  Jen
                  Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Originally posted by jagraves
                    ("I don't think you love us because you didn't have as many pictures of us from your wedding up", "I think Chris is depressed because he always wears jeans"...)
                    This is hilarious. ILs suck in general. 50% of mine do anyways.
                    Mom to three wild women.

Comment

Working...
                    X