Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

So-called "Lifestyle Specialties"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So-called "Lifestyle Specialties"

Okay, so we all know what the "Lifestyle Specialties" are...rads, optho, anesthesia, derm, and EM. I, for one, am wondering who came up with that list.

DH(anesthesia) saw his kids two days last week. Unfortunately, that's not unusual. He's usually skids in on time to help put the kids to bed but often misses dinnertime. Perhaps it's a good life if you work in an endoscopy clinic M-F. :|

(I'm very cranky lately.)

Re: So-called "Lifestyle Specialties"

So is that what lies ahead for us....?
    married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I guess thats why DH is considering a pain fellowship in Pain Management. He really wants to be able to spend more time with me and his little guy. :|

Comment

Yeah, Hubby keeps telling how great EM is for families..

Apparently just not our family!

Comment

How do EM and Anesthesia rate as family friendly? Is it because there is limited call?

Why is Path not on the list?
          Kris

Comment

It's actually the ROAD to happiness, characterized by high pay and reasonable hours (supposedly). While DH was in med school you never knew an anesthesia rotation to last past noon because all the anesthesia guys just went home! Same with Rads.

The inclusion of EM on the list (making it the ROADE) is controversial, because the pay isn't on the level of the other ROAD specialties, and not everyone can handle shiftwork. (But if you can, it's pretty cush.)
            Alison

Comment

I think they're called lifestyle specialties because they offer a chance to work less, although in a not-so-hot location. That's why we moved. In NY, DH's hours would have been same if not worse than residency for more pay, but here he works significantly less. His average shift is 9 hours vs 12-14 in residency and only one weekend a month.

Comment

Yeah, but Bon-Bon is in a more rural NY local, too. She is further away from NYC than you are! It sounds like their hospital is woefully understaffed.

As for Path, I've said before it should be changed to PROAD (but that screwed up the ROAD to happiness). Some parts of path can be very lucrative, and very cush. My dh chose Transfusion Medicine, which is the least lucrative or cush among them .... but that is a complaint for another day.

Comment

Actually, I don't know why Child Neurology isn't considered because it can be pretty lucrative (given that it's a peds speciality) and the hours are usually quite regular once you hit attending status. NONE of the civilian CNs in town take call. (which sucks for the community but not for them or their families. I keep trying to convince Rick to pick up the civilian call for some extra $. He says no way in hell)

Jenn

Comment

Shhhh! Path is still a secret.

Just kidding--lord knows I'm happy to recommend path (at least so far) to everyone who asks about it.
                    Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                    Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                    Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Originally posted by Auspicious
                      Shhhh! Path is still a secret.

Just kidding--lord knows I'm happy to recommend path (at least so far) to everyone who asks about it.
                      Hehehe, I'm just glad that dh is choosing path over family med. I cringe thinking about the debt we are incurring and how at 33, we still have so very far to go. We definately will need the above average income to compensate for being behind the curve in retirement savings.
                      Kris

Comment

Our experience is that EM is not so cush. Based on friends' experiences, we wish DH went into PM&R for the lifestyle, although I don't think DH could be in anything except for EM. He eats, sleeps, and breathes his specialty (maybe this is why it's not so cush)!
                        -Deb
                        Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

PM&R seems pretty sweet... but DH is only PGY2 so we'll have to see for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by *Lily*
                            I don't even know what PMR stands for other than Piles of Money and Relaxation!!!!
                            I googled it, because I was too embarrassed to ask what that is. I like Lily's version best!

My dh hasn't had a golden weekend in... I don't know how long. Most of them have been black. A handful of them, gray. That PROADCn thing is a load of steaming crap. Get me outta here.
                            married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

DH still says that ENT should be on the ROAD...

To which I say...

The attendings have it super-good for ENT, that is true. And on paper, the call schedule for residency is light, but it's something like q4 home call, and there is almost always something going down... :huh:

As far as anesthesia, if the surg specialties are generally bad, not on the ROAD, and if you need an anesthesiologist to perform the surgery, why is anesthesia on the list in the first place? It seems like they would be about as busy as a surgeon? :huh:
                              Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Working...
                              X