Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Texas Vacation ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas Vacation ?

I'm look for help with our post boards vacation in April. I'd really like to keep this trip domestic and our latest idea is to do a Texas road trip. I'm thinking Dallas, San Antonio, Houston (it's easier to fly to DFW and out of IAH). We have a full week, is that enough for 3 cities? Any other location ideas? I'll also need help with activities for each city.

Re: Texas Vacation ?

I know I could easily spend 5 to 7 days in each of those cities.....what types of things are you most interested in seeing?

Even after living in TX for eight years, DH and I have to stop ourselves from spending most of our vacation time there!

Sally
    Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

is this just a ploy to get at jenn's birkenstock collection?
      ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Originally posted by rainbabies
        is this just a ploy to get at jenn's birkenstock collection?
        How did you know? I'm also hoping she still has that margarita machine.

We're not big nature people, hence our stops are large cities. We'd be interested in anything arts, food or history related. I really don't know much about Texas at all.

Comment

For Houston - our food suggestion is a place 20ish miles south of downtown called the Kemah Boardwalk. There is a restaurant there called The Aquarium (if you want some unique seafood) that has some awesome drinks. If you go there, my drink of choice is the Lemon Shark. If you'd rather more "cajun-y" food you might like Landry's. The boardwalk has touristy shops and music on the weekends. Though, if you go on the weekend, go early or expect a several hour wait (2 -3 hours is standard on the weekend for almost everywhere in Houston). The boardwalk is fun for adults but is also very family friendly. If you are seeking to avoid kids, forget that I suggested it.

Or, in Houston if you want a steak - you might like the Saltgrass steakhouse. They have a very nice margarita called the Texas Twister. Yum.

If you want beer that you can only get in Texas, try the Lonestar. (I know that you are more of a wine drinker......I don't have any wine suggestions...... ) I know that there are a couple of wineries in the Clear Lake area (25ish miles south of Houston)......probably not on the scale of the Sonoma wineries in CA.....but the people that I knew that went to them had a good time.....Sam just reminded me that there is a winery in College Station (50ish minutes NW of Houston)
          Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

First of all... my beer suggestion in Texas is Shiner Bock. Next, I'm going to say that a week to do all three cities would be too hard. I would suggest doing Dallas/Fort Worth (I like Ft. Worth better than Dallas) and San Antonio with a stop over in Austin or New Braunfels. Check a couple websites for good local info 1) texasmonthly.com It's the Texas magazine that has a very informative website for arts/food/entertainment 2) http://www.fwweekly.com/ OR http://www.dallasobserver.com Pick up a copy of those free weekly newspapers when you get into town and you will be 100% in the know for all things Dallas/Ft. Worth.

Everyone has their preferences, but I love Fort Worth. http://www.fortworth.com/01visitors/01visitors.shtml There are 3 main areas/attractions in FW 1) Sundance Square This is the downtown area... restaurants/bars/galleries/shopping Just know that it's small compared to Dallas.
            2) Arts district. The Kimbell***, the Cowgirl Museum, FW Museum of Science and History (IMAX type thing called Omni Theater located inside), Amon Carter...
            3) The Stockyards**http://www.fortworthstockyards.org/ It's the old cattle drive area. All cowboy/cowgirl stuff! Best steak/ribbs place is at H3 Ranch located inside the hotel. Tons of shopping, watch an indoor rodeo, and you MUST go to Billy Bob's Texas Bar (country and western bar of course!) FW is one of those cities that you can master in a couple of days. It's not too big so that you feel like your missing anything.

If you do consider doing both FW and Dallas then think about staying in Grapevine, TX. http://www.grapevinetexasusa.com/ It’s the city directly out of the DFW airport and smack in the middle of Dallas and Ft. Worth thus easy access to both cities. Plus, if you like wine there are a few of Texas' best wineries in Grapevine. <hard to believe with a city named Grapevine, huh?? LOL!> There are two very cool resorts/hotels. #1 http://www.gaylordhotels.com/gaylordtexan/ Gaylord Texan is a big resort with a good amount of the resort indoors…. It’s hard to describe, but there is a tall atrium glass-like ceilings all over the place. That way you don’t have to walk out in the elements from hotel room to restaurant to bar to spa to whatever you want to do! It’s on the lake and has golf/walking trails and all that jazz. We stayed there about a year ago for a weekend and I didn’t want to leave!!!!!!!!! #2 If you have kids then I’ve heard this new place also in Grapevine is very fun. http://www.greatwolf.com/locations/grapevine/index.aspx My SIL is taking the kids there this weekend so I can ask them about if you’d like.

Like I said fly into DFW, stay in the area for a few days then head down to SA. I’m sure Jenn can chime in here for all things San Antonio!

I might think of some more suggestions and post again. LOL!
            Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
            "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

Since you have mentioned your love for wine, howabout the Texas Hill Country (kind of NW of San Antonio)? Our wineries are spread out all over Texas but most of them are in this area. The town of Frederickburg (sp? - I'll get you the right spelling if interested) is a little touristy but quaint. B&B's, antiques and lots on wine.

For history, if you want Texas history...Austin is a great place to stop too. The capital, the Bob Bullock Texas history museum and the night life (great live music) makes this one my favorite Texas cities.

Remember that TX is big - not being a native, I always thought this was just a TXan thing to say. BUT it is big!! You could fly into DFW - check out the DFW area, head down on I-35, stop in Austin, then San Antonio...on your way back from SA, stop in San Marcos (huuuuge outlet mall ), stop in Salado (quaint artsy town) all without getting off I-35.

The other option could be Houston ( I looove Houston - hate their traffic though) - do the Houston thing, take I-10 towards San Antonio and stop in Shiner where Shiner Bock is made. I am not a beer drinker but it is my understanding that their beers are great!

I do not know about doing the DFW, Houston, SA triangle in one week. I think it will be a lot of driving. For example, keep in mind that when you land at IAH (houston), it takes at least 45minutes on a good day for you to get to downtown. I think that DFW is a lot easier to fly in and get to the city than IAH. Would you agree - Texans & former Texans? :huh:
              Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

If you have the option take small connecting flights to travel between DFW and San Antonio or DFW and Houston or San Antonio and Houston - otherwise you're going to be in the car a whoooooole lot. You are talking about four hour trips minimum between each of these cities. Think of it like taking a vacation and seeing D.C., NYC, and Boston - all in one week. You won't realize how overwhelming the distances are until you're halfway there.

So, Southwest has quick, up-down flights between these cities (each flight from the cities I mentioned to one another is approx. one hour in the air). They often have cheap, sales rates for these shorter flights. I highly recommend traveling between cities that way if you don't want to spend three days of your week-long vacation in the car!
                Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                With fingernails that shine like justice
                And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

I have one travel tip -- you must have DCJenn take you to Tito's for some fresh salsa.

I stink at geography, is Austin near any of those cities? My cousin and his wife used to live there and loved it. My favorite photo of their son is him sitting amongst Texas Bluebelles.

Comment

I would do this-

Fly into Austin and spend a day or two on Sixth street. That's where the SXSW music fest is every year. Austin is a HUGE live music town and you can literally go from place to place and see 10 different bands in one night.

Then drive to Fredericksburg or New Braunfels and do some of the wineries and the Hill Country. There are lots of cute shops/antiques and lots of very good restaurants.

For the last few days- come into San Antonio. You can do the icons of SA- the Alamo, the other 4 missions, and all of the other stuff. The riverwalk is a destination and of course, I know all of the good places to go that are off the riverwalk. The nice thing about San Antonio (and Austin) is that it's pretty laid back and very relaxing.

Jenn

Comment

Thank you for everyone's suggestions. The reason I originally picked Dallas and Houston is that they are the easiest for us to fly into/out of. There are no direct flights between us and San Antonio and it costs twice as much to fly in/out of Austin. I don't mind driving 4 hours between cities, but will definitely look into the flying option as well. Are there any shuttle services between TX cities (like there are for NY-Boston and NY-DC)?

Comment

How far to BWI for you?

There are lots of direct flights on Southwest and American.

Jenn

Comment

Jenn, Baltimore is 3 hours away, I might as well drive from Dallas or do a connection there. If I have to connect in Dallas anyway, can I do Dallas and San Antonio in a week? I'll have full 8 days, 4 in each.

Comment

I don't *think* there is anything like the train service between D.C., NYC, and Boston. That would be cool if there was - but your options are to fly between them or drive endlessly through cow pastures and small towns. These cities are really, really big - but they are so far apart that they seem like oases in the middle of nowhere.

And, now I think I should finish packing - I have to be at the airport soon.
                            Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                            With fingernails that shine like justice
                            And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

I didn't mean train shuttle, I meant flight shuttle. American and Delta run small plane shuttles every hour during rush hours (morning and evening) for business commuters who have one day meetings. I was wondering if there's something similar in TX.

All this flying will necessitate carry-on luggage. Who here thinks I can pack for 8 days into a carry-on?

Comment

Working...
                              X