Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Going to Oahu in April...!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to Oahu in April...!

Well, since we have been discussing a trip before residency, and children we have gone back and forth about taking a trip. But I was on Jack Johnson's website (he is my absolute favorite) and he is doing his annual festival in Oahu in April with Dave Matthews and Mason Jennings (my other favorite) so that did it. I called DH and said, we're going. So I have been doing some research and have found some good deals with direct flights from here to Honolulu and hotels for under $3000 for both of us.

Has anyone been there? Stayed on Waikiki beach and knows of good hotels or bad ones?

Thanks so much!

Re: Going to Oahu in April...!

Yay! Have a fabulous time! My only tip is to make sure you rent a car and drive around the island.

What's your budget as far as hotels?
    married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I don't know what it would be with hotels, we were kind of looking at 4 star places, I really liked the Hilton and read good reviews, it really just depends on what kind of flight/hotel deals we can find.

Have you been there before?

Comment

Yes, I have been to Oahu before. A handful of times. My parents had a condo there, so when I traveled with them, that's where we stayed. Other than that, we stayed at the Outrigger and the Hilton, from what I recall. Dh and I stayed at the Waikiki Sunset, which has kitchenettes, but is so dated!

My husband and I don't spend much time in the hotels/hotel rooms where we stay. When we went to Hawaii, we spent more time hiking or at the beach, and at night we'd just crash in the hotel room. It's mostly for sleeping.

If the hotel amenities (like a spa or pool) are important to you, then by all means, look for something that suits you.
        married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I live in Honolulu now, my best advice would be to get a beachside hotel off of Kalakaua Ave. in Waikiki, with beach access.

Since parking in Waikiki is expensive and difficult to find, it's more convenient to just stay in Waikiki and just rent a car for those particular days that you plan on exploring the island (You definitely will need a car to get to North Shore, Kailua Beach Park, and Hanauma Bay). It's very convenient to pick up a rental car in Waikiki on the days you need it and go without a car on the days you don't. The bus service in Hawaii is very convenient for getting around Waikiki, buses run every 8 minutes on average, and around Waikiki they run early in the AM to late at night. They offer a 4 day bus pass for $20 that you can get at any ABC Store, and it saves you the trouble of fighting for parking on the street in Waikiki or paying a lot of money at the hotel to park the rental car.

The Westin offers the Moana Surfrider Hotel (formerly Sheraton Moana Surfrider), which IMO is absolutely the most beautiful hotel on Waikiki beach. If you're on a budget, I believe the Outrigger Waikiki is less expensive, but its right next door to the Westin Moana Surfrider, and it has many of the same beach amenities. If you want a less crowded beach and don't mind not being in the middle of the action in Waikiki, the Hilton Hawaiian Village or the W Hotel are also a great choices. Keep in mind that because these two hotels are not on the main strip in Waikiki, you will be isolated from the rest of Waikiki and have to hoof it or take the bus to get to the tourist area. Check out Trip Advisor.com for hotel reviews and more info on the hotels, and you can always PM me if you have more questions.

Comment

I have never been to Oahu (only Maui) but DH's Grandmother has been multiple times. DH's uncle is getting married there at the end of the month and family is staying at the Turtle Bay Resort. G'ma says her room is $258 a nite. Here is the link:

http://www.turtlebayresort.com/Accommod ... ations.asp

ETA: I just realized it's on the opposite end of Waikiki, but if the price is right, the island is only so big.

Comment

I went with my parents and brother back in 2001. We stayed at the Outrigger (the one actually on the beach). We went to the Royal Hawaiian for their Luau. We also went to this other hotel to swim with the dolphins. We also went to Hanauma Bay to snorkel...AWESOME!

In some senses, it's very "Big City" with your high end shops and such, too Oh, am I jealous!
              Jen
              Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

I've never stayed on Oahu, but I know you'll have a blast. I love Hawaii!

Comment

We are doing a Hawaiian cruise in August, just booked airfare today-holy cow!! We will be staying in Honolulu the day before and after so I will be researching also. There are so many things that I just don't know. Italy was much easier for me to plan, this just drives me nuts!

Comment

We booked our trip! We're going April 15-23rd and staying at the Outrigger Wiakiki on the beach!

Thank you everyone for help and suggestions, especially locumtenenswife!!!

Thanks so much! I'm really excited and it will be something fun to look forward to after Match!

Comment

Working...
                    X