Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Help me pick my plants.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me pick my plants.

That's IT. Officially, spring has begun in this house!

I am ordering a plant light and have decided to get the garden growing. I won't be able to plant much, but I'm taking this bull by the horns. Planning my garden isn't enough. I need dirt under my fingernails, people!

So....what should I plant?

Help me plan my new indoor garden to transplant outside after Mother's Day this year. Veggies? Perennials? You pick...I'll plant.

Kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Re: Help me pick my plants.

well, if you had a wacko kid like mine, I'd suggest beets- yellow and red.

Jenn

Comment

Seriously? He really eats beats, Jenn? I'm impressed!
      ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
      ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

It's the only vegetable he DOES eat these days.

Nothing green shall pass his lips. (except guacamole, of course)

Jenn

Comment

You could start with some basic veggies for cooking...
          tomatoes
          onions
          carrots

then add herbs...
          cilantro
          rosemary
          dill

for summer...
          watermelon
          blackberries

and for decoration...
          petunias
          impatiens
          morning glory

Comment

Ooh I loved beets as a kid. They were sweet and turned mashed pots red.

But back to your question...

Tell us more about your climate in summer so that what I suggest does not die on you then.

Off the top of my head - I am thinking tulips. They are everywhere in my part of the country. They may not be around by mother's day but at least you can enjoy some color right now.

To grow indoors to transplant, flower wise I would suggest gebera daisies. My have continued to bloom indoors throughout winter. Marigolds are also hardy - but they do have a little funny scent that you may not like.

In the veggie options - I'd say tomato plants. To me, nothing says warm weather has arrived than a juicy, home groen tomato.
            Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Originally posted by AtTheBeach
              You could start with some basic veggies for cooking...
              tomatoes
              onions
              carrots

then add herbs...
              cilantro
              rosemary
              dill

for summer...
              watermelon
              blackberries

and for decoration...
              petunias
              impatiens
              morning glory
              Oh - yes....ITA AND herbs!!! I just bought some sage, mint and parsley at Lowes. I do not know how long they will last inside ( I have mine in my kitchen) but it is sooo nice to see soemthing green and alive.

Comment

I wouldn't get my hands dirty. I would use an Aerogarden. Just water and grow lights and amazing salad greens, tomatoes and herbs!

Comment

In Eastern WA, morning glories are called... weeds! I spent many summers cleaning up my dad's rental properties and my main job was trying to pull all those things out of the shrubs. I hate hate hate morning glories! I think it's so funny that people actually intentionally plant them! :huh:

What is an aerogarden?
                  Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Originally posted by peggyfromwastate
                    In Eastern WA, morning glories are called... weeds! I spent many summers cleaning up my dad's rental properties and my main job was trying to pull all those things out of the shrubs. I hate hate hate morning glories! I think it's so funny that people actually intentionally plant them! :huh:
                    Same with blackberries (in Western WA, anyway). At least they have fruit, though. Our front yard had a whole raft of morning glory, and the back had a mess of blackberry. Hard to get rid of, both of them.
                    Sandy
                    Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

What is an aerogarden?

It's the solution for those who don't have a green thumb!! I can't plant herbs outside, bunnies and deer eat them. Same with lettuce. Half the time it's too cold here. I have two of these and they are truly idiot proof!

http://www.aerogrow.com

Comment

Originally posted by poky
                        Same with blackberries (in Western WA, anyway). At least they have fruit, though. Our front yard had a whole raft of morning glory, and the back had a mess of blackberry. Hard to get rid of, both of them.
                        We have morning glories growing through our bushes, too. I have to pull them out every couple of weeks in the summer. I don't know how they ended up there b/c the previous owners landscaped. I don't care for them growing over the bushes, but I think they're beautiful trained on a trellis. There's a house a couple of blocks away that has a huge trellis covered with morning glories and it's gorgeous in the summer. I don't think it looks "weedy" at all.

As for the blackberries, I guess if you work to contain them it's worth it. :huh:

Comment

Originally posted by trisha2486
                          What is an aerogarden?

It's the solution for those who don't have a green thumb!! I can't plant herbs outside, bunnies and deer eat them. Same with lettuce. Half the time it's too cold here. I have two of these and they are truly idiot proof!

http://www.aerogrow.com
                          So, it really works??? I have been tempted to buy one but haven't yet because I think I am just falling prey to the pretty picture on the box.

Comment

They grow so fast you wont believe it. And the best thing...no bugs, no pesticides,no dirt!

Comment

Working...
                            X