Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Grand Canyon anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grand Canyon anyone?

I've never been but we're considering driving up there from Phoenix, AZ in about two weeks. We're going to visit Max's sister for the week of his spring break (miles + free lodging = sweet trip for very little moolah).

I've never been but I know there's lots of options to see things. Has anyone ever done the railroad thing? What about places to stay? Hikes to recommend? Did anyone do the donkey thing into the Canyon?

We're up for anything but we love hiking and seeing the sights. The train thing seems cool but I'm not sure if it'll be boring or worth the cost. Plus, it's supposed to be about 35-40 degrees while we're there so I don't want to be on a cold train.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I'm a east coast person and I'm SO excited to see Arizona.
    Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
    Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Re: Grand Canyon anyone?

Our family went last year. We did the train trip. The town with the train depot (Williams, AZ) is very "Old West" with lots of kitschy cowboy/western shops. It's touristy - but not over the top Disney-style. The Grand Canyon Train Lodge in Williams was very, very nice. We stayed one night and then took the train in to the South Rim of the Canyon. The trip was 2.5 hours. We went to the Canyon in "coach" and returned with the first class upgrade. I'd recommend springing for the first class. It is LOADS better and actually a great train trip. They have food, entertainment and comfortable seating. The coach cars are traditional bench seats from a real antique steam train - and there is no climate control at all. It's a rustic trip in coach. The train drops you off directly behind the El-Tovar at the South Rim. It is a very short stair climb to the rim.

Once at the Canyon, we stayed overnight at El Tovar. Not worth it, IMHO. I'd go for Bright Angel Lodge next door. Both are small, older accomodations - but at El Tovar you pay more. The sunrise/sunsets are incredible photo ops. Make sure you get out for those. We hiked the Bright Angel trail about a third of the way down. It's crowded most of the time. I think the burro trip is about 6 hours - but I've heard it is great. If I had to pick one hike just for me, I'd do the Havasu Falls hike or burron trip. Since we were travelling with little kids last year, I had to skip that. Check it out if you can.

We took the train back on the second day. They are supposed to "rob" the train on the way back from the canyon, but we didn't have that experience. A huge rain storm washed out part of the tracks and we had to be evacuated by bus :> from the middle of nowhere. They handled it well and it didn't take very long. Supposedly, that never happens - it was just our bad luck.

Have fun!!
    Angie
    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

We have been a couple of times, the last time was at Christmas when I took my parents and brother up there. It was snowing and very beautiful. And very cold!
      Have not done the mule or train, and the only time we have stayed the night was on the north rim (which is only open in the summer). The only south rim hike we have done is part way down the bright angel trail.
      But, consider doing a helicopter trip if you have the $ (I think $150-200). My family did it and said it was incredible. I couldn't afford to join them!! But, if it is a once in a lifetime chance to visit it is probably worth it.

Comment

I'm jealous! This is one place I have always wanted to go, and not yet had a chance to hit.

My parents did the helicopter tour last year-- they were there in January. They loved it!

Have a great time!!!
        Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

In 1995 I hiked down the hermit's trail, through the canyon for a couple days and back up the horrible congested trail with all the burros. The first night was great - I didn't see a soul the whole day or night. The second night was busier, as I was in a more popular campground, and there were lots of (*ahem* no offense, but) young German tourists who were being very loud and obnoxious.
          In short, I'd stay away from the more popular areas, and try to get to the less traveled trails.
          Enabler of DW and 5 kids
          Let's go Mets!

Comment

Wow, thanks for the great tips. Because of the time of the year, the train package with an overnight stay is actually a really good value. One more question, how far from the train depot do the trails start? I just want to make sure that we're not locked into a bus tour and can do our own hike instead.

Thanks so much for the advice guys!
            Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

It's about a 10-20 minutes along the rim to the trailhead for Bright Angel. It's crowded and all the lodges, shops and restaurants are there. I'd just make sure you have enough time at the Canyon. If you are only there for the "stopover" between the arriving train and the departing train, it can be quick. If you are overnight at the canyon, you have plenty of time to hike.
              Angie
              Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
              Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Me, Me, Me! (insert smilie of dorky kid raising hand in front of class). We're going there in May to see it for the first time courtesy of a conference.

Kelly

P.S. Cassie--that photo is too cute!
                In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Thanks guy - all this advice is really awesome. I'll let you know how it goes!

Also - send speedy thoughts my way, we're running a half marathon the day after we arrive. Very nervous about the heat coming from Boston but after the Chicago marathon, nothing could be that bad.

Comment

Working...
                  X