Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Car question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car question

Our "new" rental is flashing a Service Now message when I start it but then it goes away and doesn't come on until next time I turn it on. We got this Passat on Friday, at which point it was fine and the message came up on Saturday night after we filled it (we had to drive about 15 miles to look for an open station after getting an empty tank warning). It drives fine and there are no other warnings or lights on once the car is in the drive gear. I'm hoping to get my car back sometime this week (most likely Friday). Should I take the Passat back to the rental place and swap it for something else or it's no big deal and I can drive it for another few days? I also don't want the rental place to blame this problem on us.

Re: Car question

It depends on how much of a pain it would be to take it back and swap it out.

My car automatically displays a service needed light every 7500 miles - it just means it is time for the 7500 mile check up.
    Mom to three wild women.

Comment

Lots of times (especially the VW/Audi line) if you don't put the gas cap back on correctly the service engine light comes on. My husband learned that the hard way. (pulled off the road, called the 1-800 number in a full on panic, etc.)

Jenn

Comment

It did just go over 7500 mile mark, so that could it be it too. I only put about 18 miles a day on it, so I think another week won't kill it. Thanks for reassurance.

Comment

I had the same problem, and after a pricey diagnostic check at the mechanic ... it turned out to be the gas cap too.
          ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
          -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Didn't get a chance to work with the gas cap yesterday will try tomorrow (DH took the car and he's on call). Thanks for assuring me it's no biggie.

Comment

That being said, I'd probably call the rental office and tell them what's going on, so that they don't turn around and tell you that you did something wrong to the car. :huh:
              Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

if it's the gas cap, I won't have to tell them anything. I loved German cars until this Passat. Now I'm totally over them. Sigh, I guess no Audi for me.

Comment

Mine flashes when it is due for service.
                  Luanne
                  wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Working...
                  X