Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Next on your drugstore shelves...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next on your drugstore shelves...

http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/blogs/paging. ... -test.html

Friday, March 28, 2008
    Take home paternity test
    by Dr. Sanjay Gupta
    Chief Medical Correspondent

How times have changed. This morning I reported about DNA paternity tests. That's right - you can go to the drugstore today and buy a genetic test that can determine who is the father of the child. In fact my producer Danielle bought two from the Rite Aid by her house - she did get a few funny looks.

According to the directions, you take a cotton swab and rub it inside the child's mouth. That will provide enough DNA for the test. The man who may or may not be the father has to do the same. After you collect the DNA and send it in, it takes three to five days for the test to come back, and you can even go to a confidential Web site and get the results.

The big question is of course, how accurate is the test? You really wouldn't want to be wrong about this. Well, according to an expert we interviewed, these tests rely on around 15 markers, and that makes it pretty accurate. If you are able to collect the child's, the potential dad's and the mom's DNA, the test is 99.9 percent accurate. With just the child's and the potential dad's DNA, it is closer to 99 percent accurate. Not bad. But the truth is, we don't know exactly how accurate these tests are because they aren't regulated by the FDA. The manufacturer says this is the same test forensic and legal agencies have been using for years.

The test costs around $20, but if you read the smaller print, you will see that there is also a $119 lab processing fee, so not cheap. And, as the included materials state, if there are multiple "alleged" fathers, the costs will be even higher... hmmm.

So, here we are in 2008. Over-the-counter genetic tests now are available - testing everything from paternity to your risk of developing diseases such as Alzheimer's. I actually took five different DNA test kits to compare their accuracy (watch Dr. Gupta's report on take home paternity tests and the DNA tests here). I'm still waiting for the results but I'll blog about it when they come in.

What do you think about over-the-counter genetic tests? Would you use one? Do you trust them?
    Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Re: next on your drugstore shelves...

Home paternity tests!!! What will Maury do now??
    Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Re: Next on your drugstore shelves...

As a completely unrelated aside that I thought I'd throw in: Sanjay Gupta is a total tool. Who goes through all the training required to be a neurosurgeon then becomes a frickin' Katie Couric of Medical News? He covers hard-bitten, fast-breaking stories like, how to reduce your cholestrol. And, pet allegeries. He's still on staff at Emory, but I think it's pretty much for show.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayMatterWife
        As a completely unrelated aside that I thought I'd throw in: Sanjay Gupta is a total tool. Who goes through all the training required to be a neurosurgeon then becomes a frickin' Katie Couric of Medical News? He covers hard-bitten, fast-breaking stories like, how to reduce your cholestrol. And, pet allegeries. He's still on staff at Emory, but I think it's pretty much for show.
        I'm curious when did he find time to sleep and eat in med school and residency - between 5 kids, several books, being a staff freelancer for a magazine/newspaper/TV, presenting at conferences and research and a blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Vishenka69
          I'm curious when did he find time to sleep and eat in med school and residency - between 5 kids, several books, being a staff freelancer for a magazine/newspaper/TV, presenting at conferences and research and a blog.
          Did he do all that while in residency? Or does that now? I have NO idea how he'd find the time to do that at a decent nsg residency. :huh:
          Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I like him. :run:
            married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I personally think he's very personable and a good TV doctor, but I agree with Abigail why go through a nsg residency to become a tv doc? You could have done something MUCH shorter and probably accomplished the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzy Sunshine
                I personally think he's very personable and a good TV doctor, but I agree with Abigail why go through a nsg residency to become a tv doc? You could have done something MUCH shorter and probably accomplished the same thing.
                You're probably right. I'm not sure what his story is, but wasn't he more of a consultant for stories in his specialty early on? I'm pretty sure the nsg came before the tv stuff.

ETA: If someone were to discover dh's photography (not going to happen), he'd drop medicine in a heartbeat.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayMatterWife
                  It's not exactly like he's Spetzler or Jane or somebody. He's a name in NSG because he is a recognizable face for Emory because he's on TV, not because he's the sh*t with a scapel. That's why I think he's a tool.

But, of course, he can do what he wants; it's his life. It's not a moral affront; he isn't doing something evil. It just seems like a loss. That spot he took in his training program--there are very few of them. It could have gone to someone who was seriously dedicated to the practice.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzy Sunshine
                    Did he do all that while in residency? Or does that now? I have NO idea how he'd find the time to do that at a decent nsg residency. :huh:
                    Tell me about it! My husband didn't even recognize his name right away when I mentioned it to him one time, because DH never has time to watch TV! When I clarified that he was the medical correspondent from CNN, he rolled his eyes and said, "Oh, yeah. That guy." They've all heard of him, even if they've never seen him. Personally, I don't think those guys particularly respect anybody who calls themselves a NSG but wears makeup foundation more often than loupes.

Funny things was, I think I was more judgmental of Gupta's career choice than DH. I just know that if I was Gupta's wife, I would have been PISSED that I made all those sacrifices and showed all that support during residency, under the belief that he wanted to heal people and had the potential to do so, only to discover that he really wanted to be on TV. But I guess a lot of women would have been fine with that--he probably pulls in a good living and they must get great tables at restaurants!

Comment

I respectfully disagree. I think it's great to have someone well-rounded in a profession like neurosurgery (or medicine, for that matter).

Comment

Originally posted by alison
                        I respectfully disagree. I think it's great to have someone well-rounded in a profession like neurosurgery (or medicine, for that matter).
                        I'm not starting a debate here Alison, I'm just curious/confused. You think its good that Gupta is well rounded and in neurosurgery? He no longer practices. I know lots of nsg residents that are well rounded. DH was just saying today that his PD was wondering how his residents have enough time to follow the NCAA basketball tournament.

Comment

I like him. :run:
                          No "run away" emoticon necessary. Clearly, tons of people like him. He's one of CNN's most popular speciality correspondents. He is kind of cute. I am just being horribly judgmental. It comes with the territory of being affected by the NSG world. I have so much respect for what my DH and his co-residents do, and I recognize that you have to be 100% dedicated throughout your entire career to constantly getting better and staying on the edge. There's no way to be a half-as$ed or part-time NSG. I don't understand why anyone would throw that away.

Or, maybe, I just being self-defensive. I don't know any NSGs who could tear themselves away from the practice enough to have another outside interest that is so consuming...including their spouses. When you see NSGs who can walk away from the hard-core life, and you know your NSG-DH never would, it is a tad unsettling. To help bring you solace, you figure that either Gupta is not a "real" NSG (or is a total tool of one) or most NSGs are not real human beings. I prefer to think--and hope--the former, and comment accordingly.

Comment

You are very right. Being truly well-rounded would be an asset because it would help with their sanity. But it would not help their career or their level of professional respect. It is fine to do things other than NSG, as long as it doesn't take time away from what it takes to be a NSG. But just being "well rounded' doesn't bring anything to the table in terms of who you are as a NSG--at least in the eyes of other NSGs (which, in the end, is all they care about. If a optho doc told them that their life wasn't well-rounded as a NSG, they'd laugh and call him an "eye dentist." ** Please note that I am not condoning this and that I have great respect for opthos!). It's just the way they are. In NSG, a healthy (desirable) "well-rounded" is defined as being both as ace scapel jockey and a well-published researcher (preferably, in the basic sciences, not in those penny-ante clinical publications no one's heard of that are essentially NSG vanity publications). Likewise, a valuable "outside interest" is defined as an interest in going outside sometime this week when the sun is still out.

It's hard to explain or justify why the SOs of NSGs put up with this. I really can't explain it. I've somehow drank the Kool-Aid on this theory of how life should be and adopted the ethos. DH is so lucky I love him so much that I could be so blind.

Comment

Getting back to the initial post (because I don't feel that I have anything new to add!), I remember in a psych class in college the prof said something about that the reason why men are the way they are...he said it was partially because, unlike women, they never truly know if a baby is theirs...

The whole drugstore thing just seems to me like a way for people in bad situations to have an excuse for their behavior...I mean unless one party does not want to do the test, why wouldn't they just go to a dr or whatever? So - it seems like a way for some shady stuff to happen... :huh:
                              Jen
                              Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Working...
                              X