Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

You know when you are married to a medical spouse when::

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You know when you are married to a medical spouse when::

I made some homemade guacamole last night for our quesadilla's. Mmmm. Anyway, I asked my dh what he wanted for toppings on his quesadilla and he responded "can I have some 'guiac'amole" He started laughing so hard at himself..and then I just started laughing because he is such a goofball. Ok...just wanted to share that..lol

funny!!! my hubbie often cracks himself up over silly things, esp. when he's post call. the other night as he was falling asleep he started talking out loud about going to make coffee! it was 11 p.m.! he didn't remember a thing the next day when i asked him about it.

btw, does DH stand for doctor husband?

Comment

I guess DH could stand for doctor husband, but usually it is dear husband

Aisha

Comment

My husband does that hallucinatory talking, too. It's so funny. One night I woke him up to tell him that I was leaving to go to yoga class and he started telling all about how he was going to have "half of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich". Right.

Another way to know that you're married to a doctor is when you reach in to your purse and you pull out drug rep pens and sticky pads!

Jenn

Comment

In the movie, the Count of Monte Cristo, there's a scene where a guy cuts another guy across the forearm with his sword. During this scence, my bf says to me, "well, that's good that he cut him there rather than over here (showing me another part of the arm) because where he was cut won't do too much damage to the major nerves and (insert medical terms here since I can't remember them)." I paused, looked at him and we both started cracking up. He can be such a nerd (and I love him for it)!

Comment

i totally know what you mean!

Buzzgirl, dh does that same thing...it is so hilarious. The thing is that half the time they are totally serious about it. I think that is the funniest part of it.

Comment

My husband worked as a phlebotomist between his junior and senior years of college, prior to applying to med school. He was totally into the whole blood-drawing thing to the point of checking out the veins on the people who would hand us food at the drive-thru window at Wendy's (fine dining for us at that point) and commenting on how easy/hard they would be to "get". I thought he was so weird. So nice to find a place where people understand what we live with, right?

Sally
              Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

We had one of these moments, too, this week, and it made me think of the posts in this thread. I was tickling my boyfriend and he was laughing so hard he could barely say "STOP . . . you're . . . compressing . . . my . . . radial . . . nerve!"

Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Very funny posts!

You know you're married to a medical spouse when he comes home "early" and you ask, "Were you fired?"

Comment

You know your married to a Dr. when LOL means little old lady not laugh out loud!

Comment

OK- warning for those of you who are parents-

There's an unwritten peds diagnosis: FLK

Funny Looking Kid

It's really usually legitimate for a child that doesn't look 'quite right' and they want to do some additional research without alarming the parents. but- they discuss FLK like it's a 'real' diagnosis!

So, you know you're married to a doctor when you're in the mall see at child and and look at your spouse and at the same time say "FLK".

Jenn

Comment

My husband uses "FLK" too -- maybe it is because of the overlap between OB and peds. Anyway, we find ourselves doing the same thing at the mall or wherever.

Sally
                        Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

How about, you know you are married to a medical student when you have spent more money per month on medical textbooks than on groceries...

And yeah, even I have heard of the FLK thing! Isn't there another one that basically means the same thing?

Comment

You know that you're married to a resident/physician when they come home after their yearly review and you are disappointed when they DON'T get fired!

Kelly
                            In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

You have conversations like the following:

Me: blah blah blah " . . . since we don't get to spend weekends together."
                              Dr-to-be: "That's not completely true--I have some weekends off."
                              Me: "You realize that most people have every weekend off."
                              Dr-to-be: "Oh . . . yeah."

We're both still learning to redefine "normal life."
                              Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                              Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                              Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Working...
                              X