Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Gift for mentor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gift for mentor

My husband wants to give a couple docs that he worked with and wrote his residency letters a gift. He wants to do a thank you but really wants to show how much he appreciated everything.

They know we don't have money, but still...

What is a good gift?

It's a trauma surgeon and an anesthesiologist (head of the program)

Any idea's would be so wonderful!!

Thanks!

Re: Gift for mentor

This may sound corny, but what about a very sincere note and a potted perennial plant that they can plant in the yard and enjoy every year. When I want to give something small but meaningful, I have given Forget Me Nots. I have even given a small pretty planter with a package of Forget Me Not seeds. OK, this may sound too girly.
    Luanne
    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

DH gave two mentors bottles of wine from places that had meaning to the attendings.

They were from small vinyards so the bottles were not more than 30 dollars. Obviously a nice card/letter of thanks came with the wine.

They both raved about the gift. They were touched DH was listening when they spoke of favorite vacation spots or fun times they had with their family.

(One had a cabin/house in Eastern Washington, one had a time share on the coast of Oregon.)
      Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

I would think a heartfelt note/card/letter would be the most important part and the most appreciated. To go along with it, though...I say go for something consumable he knows they'll like. Coffee gift certificate? Restaurant meal? I like Flynn's wine idea, too.

Maybe that's just me, though; I'm totally in a "the last thing I need is more *stuff*" mode at the moment.
        Sandy
        Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

If they have a favorite charity that they may have mentioned or they have a particular interest, a donation in their name is alway a cool thing-

Symphony, theater (national or local), college/university, march of dimes, the Arbor Day people, Nature Conservancy, etc.

When two people we knew who were loaded got married (like they registered for crystal that cost 300 bucks a glass) I had trees planted in Israel in their name. It was inexpensive, meaningful to them and I got a deduction on my taxes. All winners.

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn
            If they have a favorite charity that they may have mentioned or they have a particular interest, a donation in their name is alway a cool thing-

Symphony, theater (national or local), college/university, march of dimes, the Arbor Day people, Nature Conservancy, etc.

When two people we knew who were loaded got married (like they registered for crystal that cost 300 bucks a glass) I had trees planted in Israel in their name. It was inexpensive, meaningful to them and I got a deduction on my taxes. All winners.

Jenn
            Oh these are really great ideas! Wine and the donation thing. I'm saving these for when the time comes.
            Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
            "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

Working...
            X