Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Help with livingroom set up...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with livingroom set up...

This is our new living room, it opens to the kitchen and diningroom area, but I don't know how to set it up... advice?

We have a couch and love seat, but nothing else at this point. And I'm not sure if i like how the current owners have the loveseat up against that window...

what about coffee tables and end tables?

We will be putting out tv in the basement/family room area.

Re: Help with livingroom set up...

I wish I could help but I'm stumped!!
    Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
    "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

If you're not having a TV against that long wall, you can put the couch there and the loveseat across from it (where the couch is right now). Then do some pretty window treatments and make that the focal point. Instead of a long coffee table you can put two end tables together. That way if you get tired of them next to each other, you can always take them apart.

Comment

I think a couch and a loveseat are too much furniture for that area. How about putting your couch in the family room? Keeping the loveseat and adding two armchairs? You will still have about the same seating availability but with more flexibility...you could even move the whole seating arrangement by putting the pieces at an angle. :huh:

I agree with making your window the focal point.

So, I admit, I probably watch too much HGTV.
        Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Thanks for all the advice! It's really exciting to plan but since we've only lived in a 2 bedroom apartment, there were few places to put the stuff that we had! It was pretty much a no brainer!

Comment

I think it would also depend on the style of your couch/loveseat. Some couches can have a lighter look/feel than two chairs. But I generally agree to keep that area on a lighter side. Also depends on how heavy looking your dining room furniture is.

Comment

Having lived in Rochester in the same income bracket, we had the same layout in our house there (doesn't everyone?). We had a bay window that I didn't want to cover, but ultimately put the couch in front of the window and had a chair to the side of the stairs. I tried moving the furniture around a lot, but it always seemed to cut off the openness of the space. IMO, there aren't a ton of arrangements that will work.
              -Deb
              Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

That's pretty much exactly the layout of my cousin's house in MD that we just visited, too. Their answer was to make the downstairs rec room the TV room and have that upstairs space be just a sitting area instead. Loveseat against the stair railing, couch on the opposite wall, comfy chair in the corner next to the window, big square coffee table in the middle of it all.

Doesn't work so well if you need to have the TV in that area, though.
                Sandy
                Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

I think something neat to consider would be a TV lift console in front of the window. They are for flat screen TVs (which you can find pretty reasonably priced on line). The nice thing about this, is that when you want the room to look more formal, you store it inside, and when you want to enjoy TV while cooking or eating, raise it up! This also allows for people to enjoy the window view, instead of sitting w/ their backs to it. You could then place a sofa across the room, from the window, allowing for a bit of divide from kitchen to living room.

Comment

Working...
                  X