Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

For you Catholics ... ? about First Communion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For you Catholics ... ? about First Communion

We've been invited to my nephew's First Communion in a few weeks. We're not Catholic and have never been to one of these things before, are you supposed to give a gift? If so, is cash okay?
    ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
    -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Re: For you Catholics ... ? about First Communion

I am not Catholic but a lot my family and DH's family is and at least with them cash is always great. Have you ever read (or seen) Angela's Ashes.... on his communion day all Frank can think about is getting enough money so that he can go to the picture show and buy tasty treats.

Comment

My oldest made out like a bandit last year. Over $100! I'm sure her little sister is hoping for the same but she better not say it or every bill will go into her bank account. LOL Maggie took her money and went shopping last year. She's my kid fore sure!
      Veronica
      Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Yes, I remember at my first communion it was the first time I really got money for something, it made me feel so mature! So if you're not religious money would be great, otherwise it's a lot of rosary's and bibles...!

Comment

Originally posted by oceanchild
          Cash would have been fine, although we tended to get religious stuff. They usually sell first communion cards at Hallmark and such.
          See, I kind of figured that he'd get tons of rosaries and bibles and stuff, so I thought cash might be more useful.
          ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
          -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Originally posted by madeintaiwan
            I am not Catholic but a lot my family and DH's family is and at least with them cash is always great. Have you ever read (or seen) Angela's Ashes.... on his communion day all Frank can think about is getting enough money so that he can go to the picture show and buy tasty treats.
            Good film!!

former catholic here
            I'd go w/ First Communion card w/ cash.

Comment

Cash or savings bonds make a great First Communion gift. You could go the religious route, but in some families (like mine) there are certain family members that always give the same gift (like cross for above the bed, Bible, cross jewelry, etc) so that you might actually end up giving a duplicate.
              -Deb
              Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

I agree with everyone else Cash or bonds...
                Jen
                Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

BIL gave my oldest DD sea monkeys for her 1st communion. :huh: As much as she liked it, it's an odd choice of gift.

Comment

Working...
                  X