Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Austrian Man That Kidnapped Daughter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Austrian Man That Kidnapped Daughter

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's been following this sick story. I'm just horrified to read this morning that he faces 15 years in jail if convicted of rape. No mention of kidnapping, repeated rape, incest, and what on earth do you call keeping 3 children in a basement for their entire lives? He'll probably be dead in 15 years - he's 73 - but that's too good for him.

Re: Austrian Man That Kidnapped Daughter

Yep. I believe I mentioned public execution at the breakfast table yesterday when I read this story. And the wife??? How can you NOT know that your husband has kidnapped your daughter and locked her up in a secret apartment in the basement? Or has that element of the story changed? Sad, sad, sad.
    Angie
    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

It's all over the news here in the UK. The news has been interviewing people there in the city. Some are calling for the neighbors to be at fault because they never paid close enough attention. People are beyond outraged.
      Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
      "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

I think Angie's suggestion is best. Unbelievable. Either his wife has diminished mental capacity or she had to know something of this. Wouldn't she wonder after the second baby appears on the doorstep with a note attached?

Comment

Apparently, according to the AP report I read, the man is an abusive crazy guy and everyone feared him. (within the family)

What is with the Austrians and keeping girls in their basements?

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by Pollyanna
            Originally posted by DCJenn

What is with the Austrians and keeping girls in their basements?

Jenn
            They might want to check out the Governors mansion in CA.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.
            I'm thinking the hiding-in-the-basement-tendency may have to do with
            the fact that in Germany (and I assume Austria) keeps good track of their citizens. You have to be registered at all times in your town hall. When you move to a new place, you register. When you move out, you unregister. You always have to carry an ID card on you and produce it when asked. (They also have driver's licenses, like we do, but come on, some people don't change over to a new state license for months! Not a good way to keep track of people.)

The authorities know where you are at all times. It is much MUCH more difficult to go missing in Europe and still lead an anonymous life.
            married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Good point, Jenn. Someone who is capable of kidnapping and locking his daughter in the basement probably has a pretty controlling and abusive relationship with his wife and upstairs kids. What a freak.

Comment

Absolutely horrifying and so bizarre.

DH said yesterday, "I hope they kill that guy".
                ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Working...
                X