Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

I know it's been asked before: any Wii game recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know it's been asked before: any Wii game recommendations

I did at least make a little effort to go back into the archives to look at old recommendations!

We ordered a Wii thru Costco.com-- it's a bundle and comes with just the sports and the super mario bros. DH wants to get MarioKart (the thing with the wheel). Any fun game recommendations? We have Guitar Hero III hidden away for Kate if she's ever not grounded... After school's out definitely.

Ages of our kids: 12, 6 (boy), 6 (girl), and 4...

Especially I wanted to know about the girly games-- are they good? Boring? Hold the interest? I know the boys will be happy with car things...

Thanks in advance!
    Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Re: I know it's been asked before: any Wii game recommendations

Lego Star Wars, definitely.

We've got a Wii Fit on order, should be shipped in less than a month; definitely looking forward to that, though it might not be *quite* as interesting to kids...
    Sandy
    Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

ITA w/Sandy - it's awesome.

Comment

Weeeeell, I can't speak from a kids' perspective since DH is the only one who plays it , but we have:

(1) Mario Galaxy. DH really likes this, and it seems like it would be fun for kids.
        (2) Guitar Hero III. DH loves this one.
        (3) Mario Kart. This is another good one for the kids, I played it with DH the other day and it's pretty fun.
        ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
        -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

I second everyone else's recommendations, too. We have the LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga, Super Mario Galaxy, Guitar Hero III, Wii Games, and Wii Sports. We play all of them...a LOT.

Personally, my favorite is the LEGO Star Wars. It's pretty funny and any of the violence is LEGO on LEGO so instead of blood and guts, the blocks just break apart. And if you beat the crap out of your C3P0 unit, he just loses a leg and hops around on one foot or loses an arm.

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot

Personally, my favorite is the LEGO Star Wars. It's pretty funny and any of the violence is LEGO on LEGO so instead of blood and guts, the blocks just break apart. And if you beat the crap out of your C3P0 unit, he just loses a leg and hops around on one foot or loses an arm.

that's my favorite part. i'm excited for LEGO Indiana Jones this summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Jane

that's my favorite part. i'm excited for LEGO Indiana Jones this summer.

Same here. DH is already teasing me about it. He's usually the one who finishes games long before the kids ever have a chance to really get into them. This time, it was me with the LEGO: Star Wars.

Comment

We watched a preview or a Youtube thing on the Star Wars game-- looks like fun! We haven't introduced any star wars yet, and I am a bit worried it may start a light-saber facination. Seems like something Steven would *really* be into.

I also saw the Indiana Jones advertised. Fun!

What about for your spouses? I know DH is mostly looking forward to this to play *with* the kids on his precious few hours of the weekends. But is there anything really cool that adults play when the little ones are not around? I've never ever played video games, so I don't know. Probably I'd just get annoyed at the whole thing if he wants to play games during "adult time". :huh: :huh:
                Peggy

Comment

Originally posted by peggyfromwastate
                  What about for your spouses?

DH is big on the Metroid series and various versions of Zelda. We even went through and downloaded the older versions so he could play them. I think they were something like $3-$5 on the Wii Shopping Channel. As for the new ones, he probably plays them just as much as the kids.

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot
                    Originally posted by peggyfromwastate
                    What about for your spouses?

DH is big on the Metroid series and various versions of Zelda. We even went through and downloaded the older versions so he could play them. I think they were something like $3-$5 on the Wii Shopping Channel. As for the new ones, he probably plays them just as much as the kids.

I concur. Zelda Twilight Princess was an amazing game. Looking forward to picking up Metroid and Super Mario Galaxy, if I can ever get Daegan and Michele out of the house. Check out metacritic.com for help picking games. It is a site that combines multiple reviews to create a meta-review. Has been very helpful in avoiding stinkers.

Comment

also a membership to Gamefly can be a good way to check out games and see if they're a fit for your family. You also have the option to buy their used games on the site. You can cancel at any time (not a set period of months).

If you do choose gamefly, sign up for ebates first. You get $5 just for signing up for gamefly!

Comment

Breaking news!

http://www.engadget.com/2008/05/07/nint ... goes-live/

Apparently there's now a "nintendo channel" on the wii which has game demos (just came online today). I haven't looked at it yet, but it says there are currently 8 game demos on there; that would be another good (and free!) way to see if you like a game before buying it.
                        Sandy
                        Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Wow! I bet there's an Idiot's Guide to owning a Wii too...

I'll pass the info onto DH, since he's so excited about the whole thing. He's been wanting a gaming system for about 4 or 5 years...
                          Peggy

Comment

i can tell you what NOT to get.

this morning, on the news, they announced nintendo is making a new game. a POLE DANCING game!!! yup. just plug in your virtual pole and get going.
                            ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Originally posted by rainbabies
                              i can tell you what NOT to get.

this morning, on the news, they announced nintendo is making a new game. a POLE DANCING game!!! yup. just plug in your virtual pole and get going.
                              Jenn, DON'T even say it!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X