Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

State Quarters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State Quarters

Originally posted by oceanchild
    Anybody else collecting them?

Have you been able to get your hands on any 2008s? I haven't seen a one, and new coins are usually easy to find here in DC. I'm worried that people are hoarding them in hopes of high profits from those of us looking to finish up our collections. But hopefully I'm just paranoid.
    No, I don't collect them. I did come across a Kentucky one, and put it aside. It's the nicest of them all, I think.
    married to an anesthesia attending

Re: State Quarters

I've been collecting them, but haven't for a while; I just checked my album and I don't have any 07s, even. Will have to go digging in my parking meter quarter bin to see which ones I still need.
    Sandy
    Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

My husband may not have come into the marriage with any savings, retirement, or even income, but he did come with an up-to-date collection of state quarters, so he's got that going for him. He even has one of those boards with a map of the US on it with a place to stick each state's quarter. I've definitely made fun of him for it ("Ooh, did you get this for your bar mitzvah?"), but I've also helped him continue it and it's been fun. I just checked and we're missing all the 2008s as well as Utah and Idaho.

I am totally making this up but do they start them out in their home state? Maybe it's taking them longer to get to you because the new states are all out west now?
      Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
      Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
      Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

My sister is obsessed with finding the Maine quarter. We dont' collect them, but the kids are learning money in school, so it's fun to see the different states on the quarters. I like them, but... I am not a collector. DH would just take them and use them for parking meters or something anyway. Quarters don't last long in our house.
        Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Originally posted by poky
          I've been collecting them, but haven't for a while; I just checked my album and I don't have any 07s, even.

I lost steam collecting them when the grandparents started a collection for each of the 24 grandkids.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanchild
            Well, my dad got an Oklahoma out of a vending machine yesterday, so they apparently do exist.

Originally posted by Auspicious
            I am totally making this up but do they start them out in their home state? Maybe it's taking them longer to get to you because the new states are all out west now?
            I don't think that's true. It seems like logistics-wise, it would be really difficult, since there aren't mints in every state.
            In fact I believe they only come from 2 places -- Denver and Philly. That's why the collector's folders have 2 spaces for each state -- you have to look for the 'P' or 'D' on the coin and collect both.

As you can probably tell, I collect them. I'm behind the times right now, tho.

I think if you're in the west you'll get the Denver ones sooner, and vice-versa if you're in the East. So when I was in Calif. and I got the Philly coins, I'd get all excited. :geek:

Comment

Well...my kids collect them (with a little help from their step-grandfather to get started). DD just took them in for show and tell and they were a huge hit! She has 2 Philadelphia mint 2008s. She only has a small collection of Denver mints - but has the complete Philadelphia mint collection except the three missing 2008s. I'm thinking I'll get DH to change a bunch of dollars next trip out to CA. We need those Denver mint ones now!!
              Angie
              Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
              Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Working...
              X