Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

TV suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV suggestions

Our TV broke yesterday. I find this especially frustrating since it is less than 4 years old. It is a heavy mother and I'm not about to take it out to get it repaired. Once it comes out of the cabinet, that is it (I doubt the cost of repair would be worth it).

So...we need a new TV. I don't want to spend a lot but need to get my Colbert Report fix. Anyone bought one lately? Can I draft off your research? I think we want an LCD???

Re: TV suggestions

DH just bought a very nice Vizio that we've had for a few months now and love. I'll ask him the specifics, I know its a HD and he got it at Wal-Mart.
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Super! Thanks!

I'm going to read Consumer Reports and see what they say. I think there is a Vizio at Costco.

Comment

We got a Vizio plasma last summer and it lasted 6 months before it died of unknown cause. DH returned it to Sam's and exchanged it for a Vizio LCD. No problems yet, and the LCD picture is better.

Comment

We have a Sony LCD, and we love it. We got it at Best Buy and it's Sony and we've never had issues with them. We've had it for almost a year- no problems except that when I try and watch tv on a non-HD TV it is depressing and hard to see!

Comment

We have a Sony, too, and have been very happy with it. I can't remember what model it is and I'm too lazy to walk up the stairs to check. I think Samsung tvs are also suppposed to be really good....it was between a Samsung and the Sony when we were doing our search three years ago. We went with the Sony because we got a really good price on it.

A great place to check for reviews is http://www.consumersearch.com....they'll have reviews from Consumer Reports, CNet, etc. all in one place.

Good luck with your search!

Comment

We have a Samsung and love it. I didn't even bother w/CR research for this purchase, b/c dh is such a techno-geek he wasn't going to listen to what I said anyway. SueC bought a Vizio from Sears last summer and has had no issues with it. Costco would be a great place to get it b/c of their awesome return policy. Ours is a bit bigger (for me anyway - 40") and we did the interest free financing thing, so got it at a big box store.

Comment

We're stuck w/ the 15 year old TV that will never die. It was my parents and my dad conned me into taking it when we moved so that he could manipulate mom into letting him get the big screen LCD TV.

They bought it in 1993. It's a Toshiba. It weighs a ton. Like I'd feel sorry for anyone who tried to steal it.

Oh well, I'll live vicariously through the rest of you.

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by Jane
                  I didn't even bother w/CR research for this purchase, b/c dh is such a techno-geek he wasn't going to listen to what I said anyway.
                  This is part of the reason that I am going to take care of this myself today. Otherwise we will end up with a bigger more expensive TV than what I would like. The behomoth Panasonic is 32" screen and I think that is plenty. We might be able to fit a 37" in that space.

Jenn, I wish someone would steal this tv (and nothing else). It is too heavy for DH and I to move. Any talk of moving it usually involves some under the breath muttering about my brother the trucker.

Comment

Originally posted by cupcake
                    Originally posted by Jane
                    The behomoth Panasonic is 32" screen and I think that is plenty.
                    I will say that the newer screens can be bigger while taking up the same physical amount of space. I can't explain it further than that - but it is true.

Good luck.

Comment

We now have a Vizio 32" tv. I see what you mean Jenn about the new ones being so much smaller. We could fit the 37" tv in the same space as the old 32" but with two kids, one with a fever, the 32" was the best I could do to carry out and get in the car, etc.

I came home and Ned peed ALL OVER the house. He must have another UTI. :thud: Fussy baby, no tv, pee everywhere...I think I need something fab, purchased with the $150 I saved by getting the smaller tv!

Comment

Oh man, Nellie. If it's not one thing it's another, or...another...
                        I'm glad you took care of the tv! We can't have you missing a Colbert Report!
                        married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Nellie, you'll love it - we love ours!
                          Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

We have had several Samsungs - they make a great TV. We also have a Vizio, and love it! DH is currently looking at a 60 inch Sony, but doesn't really have any chance at actually getting me to give in and buy it. We have had a Sony in the past and really liked it as well. I would go with an LCD or DLP. I can't think of anyone I know with a Plasma who hasn't had it die on them.
                            -Deb
                            Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Working...
                            X