Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

UofWis hospital chopper down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UofWis hospital chopper down

This story broke today, within the past couple of hours.

If any iMSNers are at UofWis and lost anyone in this accident, I am so sorry to hear. Just terrible. Something similar happened sometime in the past two years, but at a different institution--I remember that at least one surgeon was killed, along with others on board. They were part of a transplant team, picking up an organ.

MADISON, Wis. — A medical helicopter dropped off a patient and then crashed shortly after it took off on its return flight to Madison, killing the surgeon, nurse and pilot on board, officials said Sunday.

The University of Wisconsin Hospital Med Flight crew went down about three miles from the La Crosse airport, where they departed late Saturday, Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman Elizabeth Isham Cory said in a statement.

The wreckage was found early Sunday and preliminary reports indicate the helicopter may have struck a hill or some trees, said Margaret Van Bree, the hospital's chief operating officer.

Killed in the crash were surgeon Darren Bean, nurse Mark Coyne and pilot Steve Lipperer, she said. All three lived in Madison. Their ages were not immediately available.

There were no concerns about the weather before the crew took off about 10:30 p.m.

"No further communication was received from the crew," Van Bree said.

The pilot was flying visually, not using instruments, at the time of the crash, said Med Flight director Mark Hanson. He did not know why.

The aircraft was a new American Eurocopter EC13 leased from Denver-based Air Methods beginning in August, Hanson said.

There were no reported mechanical problems with this particular aircraft or its model, said Mike Allen, senior vice president of hospital-based medical services for Air Methods.

The university system has grounded its other Med Flight helicopter, also leased from Air Methods, pending the investigation into the crash, Hanson said. If air service is needed while the helicopters are grounded other helicopters being used by other hospitals may be used, he said.

The university hospital system has had an air flight program since 1985. This was the first crash. On average there are about three or four flights a day, Hanson said. The average distance flown to pick up a patient is about 55 miles, he said.

Bean became a Med Flight physician for the hospital system in 2002. He also was the director of the city of Madison's EMT program and an assistant professor at the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health.

Coyne was a 22-year veteran of the Med Flight system and had worked for the hospital since 1981. He also was an emergency medical technician-paramedic.

Lipperer worked for Air Methods and was a contract employee for the hospital system since 2000.

"In our moments of greatest peril, our lives depend on the courageous work of Med Flight personnel," Gov. Jim Doyle said in a statement. "Dr. Darren Bean, Mark Coyne and Steve Lipperer dedicated themselves to rescuing people who faced the longest odds, and we owe them tremendous gratitude for their extraordinary service and dedication."

Re: UofWis hospital chopper down

The last time it was at University Hospitals in Cleveland. Very sad and scary. The only Wisconsin person I can think of is Gwendolyn, and her dh is optho, and I don't even know that they're at that institution. Hopefully there is no one else from iMSN in the area.

Comment

That's awful.

There was a medical helicopter that went down in Alaska when I was there just sometime in the past 6-8 months. I thought I mentioned it here (it was in the news when I got there for work at one of my visits). Days later, they finally found one of the helicopter doors. It was pretty remote.
      Sandy
      Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

The hospital that this copter was leaving from is visited very often by the Mayo copter. There is a resident in DH's program that went to med school at UW. Very sad for everyone involved.
        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Oh, how sad. This just happened here at U of M about a year ago...
          ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
          -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

LaCrosse is my hometown and I went to undergrad in Madison, so it touches close to home.

Last June a plane went down in Lake Michigan just off Milwaukee carrying organs for transplant.
            Kris

Comment

That is very sad. My heart goes out to all the families. I thought there was an accident at U of M somewhat recently. DH was on-call the night it happened at UH in Cleveland. His hospital is in the process of getting a chopper for transports. I am not happy about it.
              Needs

Comment

I am so sorry for all of those in the UW community. This was such an awful tragedy. DH actually interviewed with Darren Bean last year (he was an Emergency Dept doc, not a surgeon as reported), and he was about the same age as DH with a wife about my age, and two kids, just like us. This hit really close to home for us, and has re-initiated a long standing argument we have over whether or not DH should fly for work. He did during residency, and stopped when he took the job here, but is looking to get back on a bird. This really scares the s&!t out of me. It's just so sad.
                -Deb
                Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

My heart goes out to their families, the hospital, and the communities.

This hits close to home, DH has gone on countless organ harvests in small private jets in the middle of the night. There but by the grace of God...

Kelly
                  In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Deb, I can see how that would be so scary for you and I know your DH so I know he's not easy to talk down. Hang in there!
                    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I'm so sorry for these families.

DH's program flies a lot and I never rest easy on those shifts.

Comment

Horrible.

My heart goes out to the family.
                        I cannot imagine the grief.

DH did tons of transplants in fellowship and thankfully all went well.
                        I'm so glad he will never have to travel for another one!
                        Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Working...
                        X