Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Real Estate question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Real Estate question

I don't know- I've never bought or sold a place that has a built-in oven. Our first place in TX had NOTHING in it, though. That was quite a shock to the budget, let me tell you.

and everyone was amazed that we left the appliances when we moved back to DC.

It's nutty!

Jenn

Comment

People leave their appliances here too, for the most part. It's very rare to take everything, the kitchen usually stays, sometimes washer/dryer goes.

So we'll see the new one when we get back and I'll ask all those questions then and just see if I generally like. But will try to set up an appt with the one we know (and who's been hard to get in touch with lately) just in case. I'm willing to give her benefit of the doubt if she had some personal/family issues. If she stays just as distant, then she's history.

Thanks for the info, it was really helpful. I'm sure I'll have more questions as we go further into the process.

Comment

I was taken by surprise with the appliance thing. I didn't realize that the fridge was missing from the list on the last house we bought (wish our realtor did!). We ended up having to buy their fridge for $200.

I thought of a few more things you would want your agent to do. Although my experience is with more of a seller's market. When we sold our last house, we got two offers and both agents knew of the competing offer. The agent who didn't get the offer ended up looking at a place next door (someone she found out it was a rental and contacted the landlord to see if he would be interested in selling). She told him that she gave us a "perfectly good offer." Maybe, but the other offer was better. Even if we didn't get the other offer I wouldn't have taken hers, at least not right away. So...I guess I am saying that you want someone who can have a conversation with the selling agent and gauge what the sellers want and write an offer that will either be accepted or accepted after a counter-offer. (Assuming the sellers don't have their heads stuck somewhere).

Same for the house we are in now. We were competing against another offer and our agent found out the closing dates she wanted, rentback, etc and wrote the contract for what she needed (and worked for us). I think that tipped things in our favor over the other offer.

That is interesting about the commission varying. Makes sense!

Comment

Originally posted by Vishenka69
          The problem is that we really liked the agent who showed us around when we first came to scope out the area but she's been extremely hard to get in touch with for the past two weeks. She takes several days to reply to both emails and voice messages. It just doesn't seem that she's very interested. Another agent replied to our inquiry almost immediately and seemed very on the ball. I guess we can meet with her and see if we like her in person before making a decision.
          In our home state you wouldn't have to sign a contract with a realtor before/during your search for a home. Realtors are dropped for a other agents all the time for that reason.

PS sounds like your hubby is ready to be a home owner ASAP! hehe
          Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
          "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

I never heard of people taking appliances before moving to NE.

Comment

Originally posted by planet
              I never heard of people taking appliances before moving to NE.

All the houses we've dealt with (in Washington, Oregon, and Arizona) the appliances are negotiable, but rarely does anyone want to take the oven/stove. Usually it's the refrigerator and washer/dryer that people might take. I've never known anyone who wanted to rip out a built-in item and take it to their new home.

Comment

We're still on the search for the right real estate agent. Two of them didn't get back to me and one was snooty. I can't believe they're not all over us in this market. I really need this house to give DH something to do.

Comment

I'm shocked too. Good thing for you they are doing it at the outset!

Comment

Working...
                  X