Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

How to Survive a Disaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Survive a Disaster

Well, I've already had a good cry this morning. I was reading the Time cover story, and the last story they tell is about a man who saved thousands of Morgan Stanley Dean Witter employees on 9/11. I'd never heard of him - which blows my mind. If you don't have time for the whole article, his story starts on page 3 under "How One Person Made a Difference".

9/11 stories still always make me sad (and I'll admit the tears might have been hormone-driven), but this one just made me think "what if other companies had allowed this kind of mindset? how many people could have been saved?"

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic ... -1,00.html

Re: How to Survive a Disaster

very good article
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

That is too sad - makes me angry. Not what he did, of course. What a hero! But that anybody had to die.

Comment

Thanks for sharing. The last story in particular was incredible. When I worked as a cashier/hostess for Sizzler, we had a serial robber in the area who was repeatedly robbing Sizzlers at gun point. As such we were trained in what do if it happened to one of us. I, of course, was the next one to be held up at gun point. And it really is like you are in your own little world. And I was on auto pilot, doing exactly what I was trained to do, calmly and matter of factly.

Comment

Amazing story, thanks for posting.

Comment

Wow. That's amazing. Thanks for the link.

I think what got to me the most right after 9/11 was the reports of people who'd stayed (or gone back in) to help, and were never heard from again. Mostly because I can totally see DH doing exactly that. He's had enough disaster/first responder training to be a help, and wouldn't hesitate in the moment, despite the danger to himself.
            Sandy
            Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Amazing, both what he did and that there hasn't been more mention of him before.

Comment

Originally posted by cupcake
                Amazing, both what he did and that there hasn't been more mention of him before.
                I KNOW! The fact that you're not all saying "Of I've heard of him!" makes me feel better. I figured he must have been profiled before!!! I also give kudos to the Morgan Stanley folks -- the article mentions, but underplays how those people value every minute the markets are open, and the fact that they allowed him to do that training speaks volumes, IMO.

Comment

That was a great story. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Great story - thanks for sharing.

It's amazing how we are only learning about this hero seven years later. We may never really know the stories of all those who lost their lives that day.
                    Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

Working...
                    X