Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Afternoon Storms Rolling In!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Afternoon Storms Rolling In!!!

I love thunderstorms. They are so cool. I can remember 2 storms from my entire childhood! Grew up in an arid/desert region, so...

Anyway, a storm is rolling in now and it is *dark* and the thunder is rumbling and I'm off to rescue my nervous little 1st grader (Izzy) so that she doesn't have to walk home from school with Steven and Kate... She'd be fearing for her life!!! The other kids don't mind the storms.
    Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Re: Afternoon Storms Rolling In!!!

I HATE T-storms. I hope you guys aren't getting what we got. The initial storm wasn't too bad, but the storms that followed dumped SOOOOOOOO much rain, hail, and a ton of wind.

Comment

That storm was wild... It barely started to rain when I left to pick up the kids, and in 5 minutes it was raining/blowing so hard that it was literally like I was in a car wash! Sheets and sheets of water. And I was stuck under a tree AND a power line. It looked like tornado type of weather, but what do I know, so I parked the car and took Luke into the school. All the kids were huddled in the hallways-- away from windows. (There was a tornado warning.) After a while, I took the kids home, and we were without power. It just came back on for us (8 hours later). Yippee! A/C is running, fans are going... And DH is on call, so he missed it all.

I guess part 3 of the storm is coming through in a couple of hours, but I think I'm too far north for tornados. School is canceled tomorrow b/c so many schools still have outages. Exciting times...

Thunderstorms = cool
      Tornados = not so cool.
      Peggy

Comment

Peggy

You are most definitely NOT too far north for tornadoes. There have been a few over the years that have done nasty damage. Unfortunately, the mid-Atlantic isn't equipped or prepared for tornadoes like the mid-west.

(kind of like sleet in San Antonio)

Jenn

Comment

We had a bad storm overnight. It's going to be around 90 and humid today. I DO NOT like Chicago summers for exactly this: heat and humidity. Same sh!t all week. I'm so glad this is our last full summer here (says the hormonal, cranky-pants).

It's only 8:30, and I'm already sweaty!
          married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

The thunder woke me up really really early this morning. It was really really loud. Luckily, it didn't last too long; I went back to sleep and it's just kinda overcast, now - not even raining.

It's also probably going to be muggy here. I am *so* grateful that we have A/C in this house.
            Sandy
            Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn
              Peggy

You are most definitely NOT too far north for tornadoes. There have been a few over the years that have done nasty damage. Unfortunately, the mid-Atlantic isn't equipped or prepared for tornadoes like the mid-west.

(kind of like sleet in San Antonio)

Jenn

I think I meant too far north for this storm-- it seems lots of the big ones pass below DC, crossing thru into Prince George's cty and off to the Eastern shore area... But we did have a tornado in Germantown last year- it didn't do any damage, though...

Tell me about the mid-Atlantic storm preparadeness! We moved here about 3 weeks before "Hurricane Isabel" which actually wasn't even a tropical depression still when it hit, and the winds were something like 60 mph sustained, and so I thought, no big deal. How can that cause any damage... Our power was out for 3 days! It was mayhem... and a big eye opener. There are trees crossing power lines everywhere out here! Insane.
              Peggy

Comment

the mid-Atlantic isn't equipped or prepared for tornadoes like the mid-west.
                I'm a Kansas girl - can't tell you the number of evenings I've spent under a basement stairwell! It's looking stormy here today, too, but hasn't started yet. The best was a couple evenings ago. DH & I were out to eat, and we had a huge window next to our booth. We could see the torrents coming down under the streetlights, and the wind was blowing so hard you couldn't tell whether the rain was going up or down. Beautiful! We got there just before it started and left just after it was over.

Comment

We're getting the storms this afternoon and tonight, I love the thunderstorms but could do without the hail and possible tornadoes.
                  Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Oh, I love thunderstorms too. One of the things I miss.

Comment

I really missed midwest-style thunderstorms when we lived in TX. We have had some doozies here in central Indiana so far this week, so I am getting all caught up! I still like them, though......I love watching the sky.

Sally
                      Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

We had a series of storms roll through this morning. Several co-workers were without power this morning and the phones when out for a bit today because of a lightning strike down the street.

I love t-storms too!
                        Kris

Comment

Well, DH just called from work to say we're under a tornado watch (not a warning yet). We get several tornado watches every spring. I don't head for the basement until we have a warning, and not under the stairwell unless it's within a couple miles of us.

I thought it was sweet that he wanted to be sure we'll be ok! :mydoc:

Comment

I like thunderstorms during the day or late evening.

They are hard on our dog though. He's gotten a lot better but they basically scare the b-JESUS out of him.
                            Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Working...
                            X