Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

residency program closed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• residency program closed

I am really looking for some advice here. My husband was suppose to start his PGY-1 in Internal Med this July. The hospital called about a month and a half ago to call an all MD meeting. They are under some review and may be loosing their accreditation, they will become a strictly DO teaching hospital. Meaning there will be no residency program. We have been applying to every spot that we find available, which is hard to find. Does any one have any suggestions for us? We are really upset about this, we have 2 small children and no job!!!!

Re: residency program closed

I moved this to Grand Rounds so that more people will see it, hope you don't mind.
    Luanne
    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I don't mind - thank you

Comment

I have no advice, but I'm so sorry. We have a few members around here who may have advice, if not, lots of sympathy.
        Luanne
        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

What kind of fellowship, isn't that only after you have completed residency?

Comment

Are the people from his department trying to help with placements? How about his med school? The schools never like to see their grads out there floundering - they may have some suggestions.

Best of luck.

Comment

The hospital seemed to try to help in the beginning, but we really haven't heard much more from them. The med school has been trying to help, calling the programs he has sent his application to. Hopefully that helps.

Comment

I'm not sure if this is what Lily is talking about, but sometimes you can find a research fellowship. DH did a two year research fellowship in between specialties and he hadn't completed a residency at that point.

Good luck, I can't imagine how stressful this is for your family.

Comment

That stinks! You guys might try contacting the NRMP...also, it may help to contact individual programs. There are always programs that have openings that they haven't filled.

Try going to the residency swap website. They have listings of programs with open positions and he could start looking there:

http://www.residentswap.org/Internal+Medicine/NY/#other

This particular page lists Internal Medicine Residency positions in New York with links to the other states that have openings.

Good luck and let us know what happens!!!

Many hugs,

Kris
                  ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                  ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Are you guys still in LI? Is your DH categorical or prelim? He needs to start calling hospitals in the area to see if he can scramble.

Comment

We are on LI but are willing to relocate. My DH wants Pathology - but is also applying to anything that is coming up right now. He has a letter of intent from a Pathology program for 09 - with him passing Step 3, which he will take in July and one year of clinical med they will give him a spot for '09. So he has applied to a few Surgery Prelims, but has not heard back yet.

Comment

I thought you said he was supposed to do IM. Path doesn't require a prelim year, and there are usually lots of programs that have spots left. Also, a research fellow should be relatively easy to come by for Path.

Comment

Has he tried calling programs in the boroughs? Most are drivable from LI. A number of our friends have been able to scramble into various programs in NY, so it's definitely doable. Good Luck.

Comment

Working...
                          X