Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

food & entertainment for young teens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• food & entertainment for young teens?

We're moving next weekend. DH's family is coming to help. They adopted a younger sibling set (around the time I married DH, so I've known them as long as I've known him). They will all be coming next Friday.

Saturday night several of us are going to the graduation dinner. We'll be leaving four boys ages 11-14 at home, plus an older teen to supervise.

Does anyone have ideas for:
    1) Food that I can prepare in advance, that requires minimal prep on their part (some oven time is probably ok), and that they can eat off of paper plates, and
    2) movies, games, or other activities that are age & gender appropriate. They like sports, animals, and gross/funny stuff. Sadly, we don't have a playstation.

They're coming from out of state, so I don't want to ask them to bring a lot, as it will be crowded. Also, we're already planning pizza for the whole family the next night, so that option is out.

Re: food & entertainment for young teens?

A friend of ours just went through a similar experience and she rented a play station from the local video store and got a list of movies from the parents to have on hand.

I know that's not much help but that's all I've got!

Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

What about picking up $5 subs from Subway? Fairly cheap, goes far, no cooking needed.
      -Deb
      Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

uh ... i don't know a single teenager who would balk at pizza two nights in a row. if you're really commited to not doing that though, order a party sub from a sub shop.

Comment

Subs or KFC and movies, maybe the Indiana Jones movies.
          Luanne
          wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I ditto the pizza 2 nights in a row. It's not at all an issue to this age. I would order the "5 medium pizzas for $5" deal from Pizza Hut or wherever, and have that delivered, and have some subs in the refridgerator so if they don't want to eat those, they can eat them the next day. If they don't eat the pizza, likewise they can eat them the next day.

As far as entertainment, with that many kids a gaming system may be less exciting? I'm not sure. They may come with their DVDs already, or else you could have them go to the Blockbuster or whatever and choose a couple when they get there.

Don't stress about entertaining this set! Have a nice dinner and just tell them no playing football/wrestling/etc in the formal dining room area...
            Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Working...
            X