Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Help PLEASE! Ideas about finding living arrangements?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help PLEASE! Ideas about finding living arrangements?

Hi all,

I've been wracking my brain about my living arrangement for when my lease is up on September 1st. We've bought a condo in Cleveland but I'll still need to be in Boston 2 weeks/month for work. Ideally I'd find a place close to some public transportation that is ~$400 a month including utilties (I go to and from the airport for flights to Cleveland).

Does anyone have any ideas other than Craigslist? I've found a couple things but they all seem sketchy and I wouldn't be comfortable leaving anything at those places because they cycle people through constantly. Ideally I'd love to find a nice family who just wants to earn gas money or something - I'd rather hang with kids than partiers any day. House-sitting arrangements want you to be there full-time not part time.

One guy responded and told me I could sleep in his bed... So now you get why I'm over Craigslit.

I'm just at my wits end and I'm afraid I'm going to have to give up my job which wouldn't be the worst thing but we've got so many upfront costs from moving/buying our new place that I can't do that for a couple of months.

I know it's a long-shot but does anyone have any other ideas? Other websites or organizations to check? I would really appreciate any and ALL suggestions.

Thanks as always,
    Elisabeth
    Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
    Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Re: Help PLEASE! Ideas about finding living arrangements?

when i went home to have my babies while dh was in med school, i stayed at a best western suite. there was a bedroom, living room, dining, and a fully furnished kitchen. it was $600/month and included everything. (many traveling nurses used the place i stayed. that's how i found out about it and knew it had a good reputation)

is there something near you that is available like the best western? good luck with finding a place!
    ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

I have looked into long-term hotels and that sort of thing. Unfortunately in Boston, those are upwards of $120/night.

Thanks for the idea though - I appreciate it!
      Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Have you asked your Apt mgmt, how much & if they would extend your lease for 1 more month? It's worth a shot! :huh:

Comment

Unfortunately, it's an ongoing thing. I'm not quitting my job until at least Jan 1st but probably not until next summer. So it's more than a couple of weeks.

Comment

The first thing that comes to mind is finding a resident who needs a roommate.

Comment

Originally posted by cupcake
              The first thing that comes to mind is finding a resident who needs a roommate.
              Yes! Try this. When I taught in Germany for one summer, I got in touch with university departments to ask if any professors were renting out rooms.

Sometimes they leave town to do research and want someone to watch over their houses (mail, plants, etc.). I ended up staying with a secretary, who just liked my company.
              married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

You guys are geniuses. Harvard has a housing services website I foudn a lead on. I just had to lie and say I'm an alum. But Max went there so whatever, I'm an alum by proxy.

THANKS!

Comment

I just saw this. I'll pm you.

Comment

If you haven't found anything -
                    I have a friend who found something like this through the newsletter at the sisters' Montessori school. Try private elementary schools - maybe a teacher or family has an extra room.

I had a college roommate that rented a room from a convent - she said it was very quiet and clean! She wasn't catholic but she had stayed in a convent in Italy and though she would ask.
                    Good Luck!

Comment

Probably a little too late but DH gets lots of emails from classmates sending "roommate needed" emails on behalf of friends looking for temp housing near the school. I think schools are probably the best bet for safety and cheaper housing options. Good luck!
                      Danielle
                      Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

Hey all, thanks so much for all the suggestions. I actually found something with a family friend about 2 weeks ago. I really appreciate everyone's kind suggestions and offers to help.

THANK YOU!!

It's actually funny since my stuff is moving to Cleveland today and I move out of the Boston apartment into the family friend's house in one month. It's finally happening!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X