Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

New rule excludes medical graduates from federal loan deferm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New rule excludes medical graduates from federal loan deferm

http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2008/0 ... sb0616.htm
    New rule excludes medical graduates from federal loan deferment plan
    Residents and new medical school graduates have one more year to qualify for the program under the old rules.
    By Myrle Croasdale, AMNews staff. June 16, 2008.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The U.S. Dept. of Education has finalized its decision to tighten access to a popular debt-management program, which will close this program to medical graduates.

The new regulations, based on the College Cost Reduction and Access Act of 2007, are open for public comment and still could be altered. But the Assn. of American Medical Colleges said significant changes to the economic hardship deferment program would be unlikely at this stage.

Under the old rules, two-thirds of first-year residents qualified to delay repaying their subsidized federal loans for up to three years without accruing interest. The typical medical resident making $45,000 and carrying at least $76,000 in debt qualified.

The new rules, established in April, limit qualifying income to $15,600 a year or less, and debt size is no longer considered in the eligibility calculation. If graduates, including physicians, work in public service, their remaining debt will be forgiven after 10 years of repayments. But details of this loan forgiveness deal have yet to be defined, and it is unclear what type of physician practice would qualify.

The economic hardship loan deferment program will continue to accept applicants under its old rules until July 1, 2009, giving qualifying residents and new medical school graduates one last year to participate.

For those no longer eligible, the U.S. Dept. of Education plans to start an income-based repayment program July 1, 2009. In this program, a medical graduate starting residency at $45,000 a year would be required to make monthly payments of $365, according to the AAMC. The median medical education debt is $140,000, the AAMC said.

Another option is to go into forbearance, in which residents don't pay on the loans, but the loans accrue interest, ultimately increasing the total amount residents must repay.

Changes still being sought
    AMA Board of Trustees member Chris DeRienzo, MD, said the AMA was disappointed in the education department's stance and would press for changes during the comment period. Even small monthly payments would be too much for some residents, he said. "We hope to have another crack at making our points on why the pathway is important to a lot of residents across the country," he said. "This is not dead yet."

At press time in early June, the AMA House of Delegates was expected to consider four resolutions related to rising medical student debt. One proposal calls for studying the feasibility of the use of endowment funds or other approaches to help trim students' debt. The AMA also supports a bill that would reinstate the economic hardship loan deferment program for medical graduates.

Kimberly Ruscher, MD, a surgical resident at the University of Connecticut in Hartford who has $150,000 in student loans, used the economic hardship loan deferment program to manage her debt during residency. Now she will try to pay the $500 a month she will owe under the income-based loan repayment program instead of going into forbearance and accruing interest on her debt.

"I respect the financial responsibility I undertook when I took these loans, but I took them under a certain set of rules and regulations knowing I would pay them back later," Dr. Ruscher said. "Now the rules have changed on me."

She said the situation is particularly hard for colleagues who have started families and can't afford loan repayments on residents' salaries. They will have to opt for forbearance, she said, and watch their total debt climb.

Bolds added by me. The key here is to call this year (b4 July1 '08) and start the economic hardship deferrment if you have subsidized loans so that you can renew for another year b4 the '09 deadline. It can save you a lot in interest, which does capitalize each year. You can still use forebearance during residency.

Re: New rule excludes medical graduates from federal loan deferm

As someone who's DF won't graduate until AFTER the eligibility expires (2011), this makes me sick. He applied thinking he would be able to defer in residency.

This is exactly the opposite thing the country needs right now if it hopes to entice people to do primary care...
    Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
    Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

That is ABSOLUTELY ridiculous - how are you supposed to pay those loans on a resident salary? Qualifying income of $15,000? If you're making that much out of college you have a problem. :huh:
      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Just one more pile of bullshit that residents and their families do not need. Unbelievable.
        Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

This is awful. Dh qualified for the economic hardship deferment for two years and it really helped us during residency.

Originally posted by *Lily*
          We didn't qualify for deferment - I assume it is due to my salary but remember something about the paperwork with DH's program that the student loan company said we were denied.
          Only your Dh's income should be used to determine whether he is eligible for the economic hardship deferment. Perhaps his debt load isn't high enough in relation to his income. That was the reason we didn't qualify for the last year of the eh deferment.
          Wife of Ophthalmologist and Mom to my daughter and two boys.

Comment

Originally posted by ekreter
            This makes me sick. He applied thinking he would be able to defer in residency.
            This is what kills me. We headed into this whole mess thinking that we would be able to defer the loans until after residency. We are planning on buying a home during residency. We have my car payment because my car died unexpectedly. We will also need to purchase another vehicle because dh's car is on it's last legs. It needs more repairs that is worth doing. We just keep hoping to hold off as long as possible...
            Kris

Comment

Originally posted by JaneDoe
              This is awful. Dh qualified for the economic hardship deferment for two years and it really helped us during residency.

Originally posted by *Lily*
              We didn't qualify for deferment - I assume it is due to my salary but remember something about the paperwork with DH's program that the student loan company said we were denied.
              Only your Dh's income should be used to determine whether he is eligible for the economic hardship deferment. Perhaps his debt load isn't high enough in relation to his income. That was the reason we didn't qualify for the last year of the eh deferment.
              Similar experience here. If DH had a few thousand more in loans he would have qualified for the economic hardship. He put his loans in forbearance for most of residency. At an interest rate of around 3%, it didn't make sense to pay anything on them if we had spare cash and it was better put towards other things. Also, most of his loans were UNsubsidized, and that part was due to my income, and I don't think those were eligible for hardship deferral (but they were for forbearance).

For those of you worried about this, I think your DH can do forbearance and not make payments but still accrue interest. Not so great but better than making payments.

Comment

We didn't qualify for anything either (NYC residents get paid more to offset the high COL) but were able to choose a payment plan where very little was paid during first two years, then a little more during 3rd year and the full amount after that. Since I was working and his residency was only 4 years, it worked for us. If he would be facing PGY7 an we had kids, I'm not sure what we'd do. These new rules majorly suck. I also foresee a lot less people going into primary care.

Comment

I also want to know where people go to school where they come out with just 150K in loans? Seriously? We will be nearly double that if you include undergrad loans. And lets not forget about mine...
                  Kris

Comment

Originally posted by HouseofWool
                    I also want to know where people go to school where they come out with just 150K in loans? Seriously? We will be nearly double that if you include undergrad loans. And lets not forget about mine...

i think heidi and i could buy a small country on what we owe.
                    ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

I also foresee a lot less people going into primary care.
                      AND, as a resident of Massachusetts, let me tell you that's a real problem. As the 1st state to mandate that everyone have health care, there are always articles being written in the Boston globe about the fact that no one can get primary care appointments because the system is flooded with new patients who are now getting check-ups for the first time in years. I'm all for universal health care in the theoretical sense but how are they going to make this work? There aren't enough primary care docs and now they're adding another obstacle...

I'd really like to see our presidential candidates address this. Quit arguing about why/if we should have universal healthcare and actually tell me HOW it's going to work and if it's actually feasible because if it's not feasible, it's a moot point.
                      Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                      Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by rainbabies
                        Originally posted by HouseofWool

i think heidi and i could buy a small country on what we owe.

Awww, you remembered. Yup, it's truly pitiful. 150K sounds downright awesome to me...chump change. Oh, and that isn't to belittle anyone who has that amount of loans. It's still a lot of money, but yeah, we are looking at a whole lot more.
                        Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Wow this royally sucks considering DH is class of 2010, so we'll just miss the f*ing deadline.

It pisses me off because we took the loans with the intention of deferring them until after residency. They should make the rule to apply to new loans taken out after a specific date and grandfather the ones already taken out.

I guess the silver lining for us is our student loan debt isn't as enormeous as it would have been had we gone the straight med school route. It just kills me to think about having to watch the interest climb onto the debt load.
                          Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

That sucks. Our subsidized loans are such a small % of the total but still.....

Comment

Throw us in with Heidi and Rainbabies, maybe you could could buy the small country, and I could build us all palaces with our debt.

We tried to pay one of DH's private loans when he first started residency. After one month of around $300 it nearly killed us. I dont know how residents will do it, except take out that physician loan.
                              Mom to three wild women.

Comment

Working...
                              X