Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

A little perspective

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little perspective

So, we all know the economy is in the tank and the war in Iraq is never-ending etc, etc.

I was at BAMC yesterday for some lab work and (Peggy can attest to this) at the large Army hospitals, you see what the impact of Afghanistan and Iraq are on our soldiers.

So, being pushed around in a wheelchair yesterday was a beautiful young woman w/ some very visible facial wounds, a bandage on her head, and she had both arms amputated above the elbow and was missing part of her right leg. and on her t-shirt? "Call me Stumpy".

Now THATS a positive attitude.

Jenn

Re: A little perspective

HA! I love it!
    Seriously, we forget how unimportant most of the stuff we complain about truly is.
    married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that figures of total soldiers injured are rarely cited?

Comment

That woman has a fabulous attitude. Good for her!

You're right Nellie - the government makes it a point to try to avoid that number.

Comment

Wow - good for her.

I agree, we hear the death number but never the injuries. I have more and more respect for our military families every time I hear war story on the news. They really do need to bring them home.
          Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

According to this site, around 30,000 injured.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... alties.htm

Comment

That is a gross underestimate because typically they only count "real" injuries- the physical injuries. The head injuries and psychiatric disabilities are NEVER calculated in those figures.

I've heard that it's closer to 100,000 injured.

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn
                That is a gross underestimate because typically they only count "real" injuries- the physical injuries. The head injuries and psychiatric disabilities are NEVER calculated in those figures.

I've heard that it's closer to 100,000 injured.

Jenn
                Exactly! Disgusting isn't it?

Comment

Thanks for adding that Jenn. I figured that number might be narrowly defined -- still, I don't recall hearing much about even that.

Comment

Now that made me tear up. I reread it later and it still made my chest flutter.

Thanks for the perspective.

Comment

It's amazing what these soldiers (and their families) go through. It's also amazing what their doctors can do to help them. Kudos to everyone
                      Jen
                      Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Working...
                      X