Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

4th of July?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4th of July?

Any big plans? (or Canada Independence Day for our friends to the north)

My beloved is on-call so we're going to do the low key thing at home. Fireworks are limited to 10 areas around town and we won't be able to see the municipal ones.

Anyone doing anything fun. It's times like this that I miss being 3 blocks off the Mall in DC.

Jenn

Re: 4th of July?

It's our 11th anniversary and hubby isn't working for once!!! We'll drop the kids off at my brother's and go to dinner at Mi Cocina then head back to my brother's to shoot off fireworks. He's in a town that has no fireworks laws (in the country) but only 10 miles from us. We're just excited to spend our anniversary together!
    Veronica
    Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Late in the afternoon, DS gets back in town from being out-of-state with his maternal grandparents for 12 days. When he gets back, I'll probably take him and my parents downtown to see the fireworks (I'll have easy, underground parking at the federal courthouse and my office overlooks the river and stadium--can't ask for a better view of the sky!!).

DH has to work during the day, but I'm off (assuming I finally get the order I'm currently drafting done...**good luck to me**). In the afternoon, I'll bake a birthday cake for DS (the 5th is his birthday) and wrap his presents (we got him a LEGO pontoon plane kit and a nine-sectioned frame in which I'm going to mount a bunch of high-quality postcards with the planets on them that DS got when he visited the NASA museum last month with his other grandparents).

Comment

No plans yet. DH is on call the entire weekend. I may have everyone over because we live in a cul-de-sac and can easily light off fireworks in front of our house. I don't know if I'm up for it, but the kids have gotten the shaft for so many years as far as the 4th is concerned, that I think I'll make the effort. In SC they let you light the most gigantic fireworks, and they're cheap too. No family around, so the 4th is typically just another day interrupted by loud booms while you're trying to sleep.
        Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

We're going to hang out with the neighbors and watch several fireworks displays from our backyards.

Veronica -- so jealous of Mi Cocina. Ours just closed.

Comment

Our neighborhood has a little bike parade so we are decorating bikes on Thurs afternoon and doing the parade Fri morning. After that, probably some swimming and then bbq with the neighbors. I don't think we can see any fireworks from our house and I'm not keeping the kids up for it (bah humbug! but it isn't worth the grumpy kid trade off). I might see if we can catch something on TV?

The fourth is/was my FIL's birthday. Usually we do something with MIL but she is mostly to the point of not putting that together and can't do the parade with us. Maybe we'll take her a milkshake in the afternoon.

Comment

DH is on house call Friday and home call the rest of the weekend. My parents are coming for Sat-Sun, so entire Fri will be spend cleaning and preparing. Our friends are having a party in Poconos but I'm not I'll make it.

These same friends have a place in the city with great views of the East River. We've spent past few 4th of July at their place watching the fireworks.

Comment

Dh is off on Friday and Saturday. :rah:

The fireworks shows are smaller here than those that I remember in Seattle. :huh: (Flynn and Annie: remember how the shows would always get threatened by rain??)

We're going to stay in this year, I think.
                married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

We're going over to MILs for a bbq. They'll probably have little sparklers or something for the grandkids, we don't plan to go see any fireworks. I haven't seen a 4th of July fireworks display in ages!
                  ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                  -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

dh is on onc, so i have no idea what is going on with his schedule. the office will be closed, but i'm sure dh will have to round, or be on call.
                    ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

DH has a four day weekend. We're heading to a parade on Friday morning and then will watch fireworks with friends later that night. DS just learned to dive and swim so we'll probably spend the rest of DH's time off at the pool.

Comment

Dh is on call, but there is no clinic, so he will be around intermittently. My Dad is here, and my sister and BIL are on their way here from Nashville right now. Tomorrow, my mom will come down and we will all have lunch together. Then all of us (except DH) are heading up to a living history place called Conner Prairie, which is set up like a small village in Indiana, circa 18-something. They go all out for the 4th, and my Dad is here because his Dixieland group is hired each year to stroll around and play there. The Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra will be playing there, beginning at 8:00, (it is called Symphony on the Prairie) and there will be fireworks at the end of it. We will pack a picnic and eat dinner up there. On Saturday, my other sister is coming over from Cincy to spend a week at my mom's. We are all (again, not DH) going to meet Saturday around lunchtime at a state park for *another* picnic.

I hard-core cook about 4 times a year, and today was one of those times, because I am so excited about seeing my family. So far today, I have made a breakfast casserole, a sour cream/blueberry coffee cake, brownies, potato salad, and I have poached some chicken breasts so that I can put the meat in the crock-pot tomorrow morning with bbq sauce for shredded chicken bbq sandwiches for lunch. I still need to put together a fruit salad for breakfast in the morning. I will also need to make baked chicken nuggets (to have cold at the picnic Saturday), and I will make baked beans Saturday morning....they will still be warm by the time we drive to the park. I think I will make my sister put together a green salad for tomorrow's lunch. I know that was boring for you all to read, but it helps me to type it all out!

I have no idea what we are having for dinner tonight. :huh:
                        Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Someone explain to me why they do big fireworks on the 3RD of July here. So ridiculous.
                          married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I was on the Mall for the Bicentennial fireworks. Everything after that has been anticlimactic, to say the least.

Jenn

Comment

well, dh is on call..and chief on onc. which means we wont see him until after noon, tomorrow.
                              i'm babysitting today. hey! might as well get in a full pay this week. we're not doing anything.

my friend is coming over, and we're having a play-doh party. i'm getting some frozen pizza, and making little hotdogs with the pastry wrap...and, i'm going to try and be chill while we make a mess. fireworks don't start until 10, it's supposed to rain...but maybe we'll see them from the back porch anyway.

happy 4th all!
                              ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Working...
                              X